UCSD Suffers First Loss

One goal decided both games against CSU Los Angeles and CSU Dominguez Hills this weekend. In the midst of a 12-game undefeated streak — the longest since 1994 — the UCSD women’s soccer team dropped its first game 1-0 this season against No. 20 CSU Los Angeles on Friday in overtime.

“It was a tough way to lose, but the chances were there for us to win the game, and we just weren’t brave enough to win the game, simple as that,” head coach Brian McManus said. “Unless you’re willing to be brave, and put your body in where it hurts, you’re not going to win. They were brave enough. They went hard into tackles. We didn’t.”

Despite McManus’ misgivings, the Tritons still managed to play the soccer that has gotten them to the top of the league: getting the ball on the ground, moving it around the pitch and outshooting the Golden Eagles 14-8. All the team missed was composure in front of the net.

“We only fell apart once during the game,” senior goalkeeper Kristin Armstrong said. “But it forced us to realize that we just need to finish our scoring opportunities.”

The Tritons came close a number of times in the 94 minutes of play. Near the start of the game, 5’10” junior forward
    Gabi Hernandez won the ball in the air, connecting with senior forward Sarah McTigue. Just feet in front of the goal, McTigue misfired and sent the ball over the crossbar.

UCSD suffered another near miss with just five minutes remaining in the regulation time period, when junior midfielder Danielle Dixon collected the ball just outside of the 18-yard box. Dixon sent a lofted shot that would have beat CSU Los Angeles keeper Jesse Walworth — if the ball hadn’t struck the crossbar. The score then remained drawn 0-0.

In the fourth minute of overtime, CSU Los Angeles forward Cari Gill collected the ball on the right side of UCSD’s goal box. Gill sent a cross that saw its way through the Triton defense and found forward Gabbi Segall, who put a left-footed finish past Armstrong.

“[The loss] could be a season breaker, it’s as simple as that,” McManus said after the game. “We’ve put ourselves in a deep hole with the two games last weekend and this weekend, and we haven’t turned out to play.”

Safe to say, McManus was unhappy with the result, but despite Friday’s loss, UCSD still stood at the top of the conference with their No. 6 ranking intact going into the game on Sunday.

But against the Toros, McManus’ squad looked as if they would be heading into overtime again, as the game remained scoreless up until the 89th minute.

With the clock winding down, freshman forward Cassie Callahan won the ball in Dominguez’s half. Callahan played a flighted ball to senior forward Courtney Capobianco, who deftly chipped it over the Dominguez keeper to win the game.

Capobianco — who has played in only nine of UCSD’s 14 matches and has not recorded a start this season — has become something of a supersub for the Tritons. The goal against CSU Dominguez Hills puts her in second behind McTigue for goals scored this year.

Capobianco’s game-winner also ended an offensive drought, in which UCSD had failed to score for the past three matches.

“It was nice to put the game away in regulation,” Armstrong said. “[McTigue] and [Wethe] stressed that we need to make the most out of every minute in every match, and put a little faith in our forwards.”

With a 9-1-4 record overall (8-1-3 in the CCAA) and four games left in conference play, the Tritons are looking forward to the post-season.

“We’ve positioned ourselves pretty well for the rest of the season,” Armstrong said. “We’re not going to overlook Humboldt. They’re a team that has nothing to lose, and can always surprised you, but we are gearing up for what we know will be an important game against Sonoma.”

UCSD will host Humboldt State on Friday, Oct. 21 at 4:30 p.m. before their match against top of the North conference Sonoma State on Sunday, Oct. 23 at 12 p.m.

$2515
    $5000