UCSD Honors Student-Athletes

UCSD athletics honored its own in a ceremony last Thursday, but the ceremony wasn’t for accomplishments on the playing field. In conjunction with the NCAA-sponsored National Student-Athlete Day, the university commended the Tritons with the highest achievements in the classroom.

“It’s another opportunity for us to showcase what we stand for when we say student-athletes,” athletics director Earl Edwards said. “For me, it’s a chance to show off the total package of academics, athletics and community service.”

The reception was held on the 15th floor of Building One in the Village, which offers sweeping views of the campus, Torrey Pines Gold Course and the Pacific Ocean. It was the 10th anniversary of the event, and the athletics department invited several past winners to take part.

Faculty Athletic Representative Cliff Kubiak gave the keynote address. Former UCSD softball player and 2008 honoree Randelle Bundy, honoree and water polo player Ryan Allred and Edwards also spoke during the event.

“Personally, it means a great deal to be standing next to the people that were honored tonight,” Allred said. “There are a lot of really talented athletes but also of very smart individuals.”

Allred, an Eleanor Roosevelt College senior and urban studies and planning major, maintains a 3.89 GPA.

“Our slogan is ‘a proud tradition of academic and athletic excellence,’” Allred said. “And that’s definitely the way it should be. It’s something I take a lot of pride in. Walking into a water polo tournament all over the country, people know we’re not only talented water polo players, but we are a high-caliber university that’s not easy to get into.”

In addition to Allred, this year’s honorees were: cross country runner Briana Alban, a Warren College senior and psychology major; track athlete Dan Nguyen, a Warren College senior and bioengineering major; fencer Amy Bianchi, a Roosevelt College senior and political science and public law major; Swimmer Samuel Dumovich, a Muir College senior and history major; fencer Michael Fong, a Sixth College junior and bioengineering major; volleyball player Kaitlin Potter, a Marshall College senior and theatre major; swimmer Kelsey Quigley, a Roosevelt College junior and cognitive science major; soccer player Sara Spaventa, a Muir College junior and psychology major; rower Ellen Umeda, a Muir College junior and biology major; tennis player Austin West, a Muir College junior from economics major; and soccer player Tyler Zupan, a Muir College senior international studies major.

Readers can contact Rachel Uda at [email protected].

$2515
$5000