Triton Track Gears Up for Conference Meet

“It was a very good meet for us,” women’s head coach Darcy Ahner said. “Everyone competed very well. There were a lot of personal records that moved our athletes into scoring position in the conference.”

Junior Ab Sheehan won the hammer throw with a toss of 183’7”, recording a personal best and becoming an NCAA provisional qualifier. Sheehan is a dual U.S. and Lebanese citizen, and the throw improved upon his existing Lebanese national record.

Deyna Roberson and freshman Lauren Irish also won provisional qualifying marks, both in the 400-meter hurdles. Roberson ran 1:02.14, with Irish just behind at 1:02.34. Neither Roberson nor Irish ran hurdles in high school.

“[Deyna] has just worked really hard to get back to where she is, and she’s running really well, so it’s exciting to see,” Ahner said. “For, Lauren [Irish], to get a pro [provisional] mark as a freshman having never run hurdles in high school is exceptional.”

Kelly Fogarty destroyed the field in the 100-meter dash, clocking a time of 11.68. Caitlin Meagher and Jaqueline Rose were the other event winners in the running events on the women’s side, taking the 100-meter hurdles and 400-meter dash, respectively.

Danielle Thu won the discus throw, narrowly beating out teammate Uchenna Agbahiwe. Agbahiwe also finished second in the shot put. Shana Emile took first in the hammer throw, and Erin Langford was the winner in the triple jump with a mark of 37’4”.

The Triton men took home four events as well. Clint Rosse win the pole vault with a mark of 15’1”, and Ryan Eckert and Zach Nagengast won the shot put and discus, respectively, as the Tritons dominated in the throwing events.

The Tritons will return home next week for the annual Triton Invitational on Friday and Saturday. The meet is set to feature a high-profile lineup, including several former Olympic athletes and hopefuls for the 2012 Games.

Readers can contact Liam Rose at [email protected].