Sun God Tickets Sell Out

John Hanacek/UCSD Guardian

Many undergraduates will disappoint their non-UCSD friends this year, as Sun God Festival guest tickets sold out almost two weeks faster than last year.

The UCSD Box Office began selling the $50 guest tickets on April 11. While the sale was meant to go on until May 12, tickets sold out before 11 a.m. on Thursday, April 14 — an hour after the box office opened that day.

All 3,000 guest tickets were sold in just three days, and the 300 of which were reserved for UCSD alumni also sold out. Last year, the 3,500 guest tickets, which went for $41 each, sold out within two and a half weeks.

According to A.S. Concerts and Events Media Liaison Oliver Zhang, the office will provide no more guest tickets since the May 13 event is held specifically for the UCSD undergraduate students who fund the $550,000 festival through student fees.

“It’s pretty surprising to us that they sold out this quickly,” Zhang said. “We all knew that this would be popular and it would sell out faster than last year, but I think we didn’t expect it to be so quick.”

On April 11, students who waited in line — stretching up Price Center stairs, around Sun God Lounge and down to Round Table Pizza — to purchase tickets were given vouchers when the box office closed. The vouchers were redeemable on April 12 and 13. Ticket sales then resumed for non-voucher holders on April 14.

This year, 500 fewer tickets were available than last year to ensure more undergraduate students would be able to attend the festival.

“Last year, student wristbands sold out at about 2:30 p.m. on the day of the festival, so we had to turn away about 1,000 undergraduate students,” Zhang said. “That’s something that we did not want to have to do this year. So we tried bumping down the number of guest tickets that we sold. In the end this is an event for UCSD undergraduates, and we want to allow as many UCSD undergraduates to get into the festival as possible.”

ASCE is also attempting to crack down on scalpers. Last year, after guest tickets ran out on April 22, student and non-student scalpers began selling tickets online and in person. ASCE tried to track down scalpers by their PID numbers.

There are already over 20 scalpers selling tickets on Craiglist, with prices ranging from $90 to $200.

Zhang said the office has not finalized its plan yet.

Guests must exchange their tickets for wristbands on May 12 or 13 at the Sun God Festival Box Office on Marshall Field.

Guests do not need UCSD students to enter with them, but they do need valid IDs to exchange their tickets for wristbands.

$2515
$5000