Departments Change Course Requirements, Add New Degree

Last quarter, the literature, earth sciences and mathematics departments changed their major requirements effective immediately. In addition, graduate departments have added new degrees in the physics, structural engineering, mathematics and mechanical and aerospace engineering majors.

For incoming freshmen, the literature department now requires an English literature sequence for its writing, Spanish and cultural studies concentrations. Previously, a variety of lower-division sequences —including film classes and Third World Studies classes — substituted the requisite.

According to Undergraduate Literature Adviser Joe Spano, the literature department felt the new course would provide more valuable skills compared to the previous applicable courses.

“[The department] really wanted students to take a valuable class,” Spano said. “The American Survey [LTEN 26] samples writing they wanted students to have.”

In addition, Literatures in Spanish majors can now replace 130A/B (Development of Spanish Literature and American Literature, respectively) while the Literature of Cultural Studies major allows a wider range of electives to cover requirements.

The  earth sciences major, part of the environmental systems program at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, will expand in response to the Undergraduate Academic Advising Task Force. Previously, the earth science major was split into three specializations: geochemistry, geophysics and geology. Now, no specialization is required.

Associate Director of Environmental Systems Jane Teranes proposed the changes last year, saying that less requirements will give students flexibility to shape their majors.

The Mathematics Department added the 140A/B or 142A/B analysis sequences as a new requirement.

“This was added to give additional mathematic rigor to the major and to give students a more cohesive structure to follow,” Undergraduate Program Officer Scott Rollans said.

In addition, the mathematics department also changed the following majors from a Bachelor of Arts to Bachelor of Science degrees: mathematics, applied mathematics, mathematics-economics and mathematics-computer science. This change was made in response to student interest and program reviews.

The math department added a Ph.D. in mathematics with a statistics specialization in statistics.

The physics department added a Ph.D. in engineering sciences with a specialization in multi-scale biology.

The mechanical and aerospace engineering department added a Ph.D. in engineering sciences with a specialization in multi-scale biology and a Masters of advanced studies in medical device engineering. This program will work jointly with the bioengineering department.

The structural engineering department added an Advanced Studies Masters degree in simulation based engineering to work with the mechanical and aerospace engineering department.

They also added a Masters of advanced studies degree in structural health monitoring, or life-cycle engineering, to work with the electrical and computer engineering department.

$2515
$5000