Comedy Central’s March on Washington – Rally Degrades Worthy Cause

While the Colbert and Stewart rallies to “Restore Sanity” might attract Comedy Central groupies, their humor-based message is cheapening the effect of Glenn Beck’s rally.

Unlike Colbert and Stewart’s rallies, Beck’s rally was far more than simply a publicity stunt. Instead of acting like media-hungry puppies, Beck’s rally raised $5.8 million for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. The foundation gives educational grants and counseling to children who have lost parents in the special operations unit of the military and provides housing and transportation to families of injured military personnel so that they can fly to their side. The fact that Colbert and Stewart are being applauded for their mockery of Beck’s beliefs and generosity is nothing short of immature.

The conservative right isn’t the only side that thinks that the Comedy Central rally is doing a disservice to our country. According to Democratic consultant Kevin Wardally, it’s “very disturbing that people who say they really care about voting and making real change in D.C., will be taking thousands of people away for a comedy show, when they should be working in their respective communities.”

Instead of working against an honorable cause, these media pundits need to stick to late night humor.

— Milena Savovic
Contributing Writer