Guardian Should Recycle Old Newspapers

Dear Editor,

It is deplorable that the Guardian — which so often follows the stories of environmentally conscious student groups — would take a less-than-green approach to their own organization.

While enjoying my lunch one afternoon I noticed a student distributing a new issue of the Guardian. He took the monstrous pile of leftover papers, balanced it atop a trash can and walked to the next stand. I sat there wondering if he would come back, fully expecting him, as a representative of this paper, to recycle the papers. To my dismay he did return, only to chuck the leftovers into the trash can without hesitation.

I am not a math major or anything but a colossal amount of papers are being wasted every year if this is the normal behavior for your distributors. The each issue is about 12 pages long, and the discarded stack must have numbered 50 papers. Multiply that by all the newspaper stands littering the campus and take into mind that the Guardian distributes two times a week — countless thousands of Guardian issues must be rotting in San Diego landfills instead of being recycled.

As a paper that reports on the campus’ green initiatives and as members of a society that is increasingly promoting environmental awareness, these actions are unacceptable. Please look into incorporating recycling practices for your distributors, if not for the student committees you cover or the planet we all live in, then for your integrity as a paper.

— Regine Reyes

Sophomore, Muir College

$2515
$5000