J Music Studio

Brown bag the booze beforehand and you’ll be guaranteed a night brimming with the best kind of buzz: drunk renditions of your favorite Christina Aguilera single. J Music Studio 4620 Convoy St. San Diego, CA 92111 (858) 292-0759

To most San Diegans, the neon Korean characters hanging above J Music Studio are a testament to the modest charm inside. If it weren’t for the supplemental “Music Studios” afterthought, it’s doubtful anyone would even stop to peak inside.

But allow me to show you the light: J Music Studio is a diamond among all those mysterious Convoy St. gems, existing for what seems to be a sole purpose of letting patrons get sloppy drunk and sing like they were in the privacy of their own shower.

Upon entering the long-time San Diego establishment, karaoke hopefuls are offered a modest greeting: a small, cramped foyer, undecorated walls and a simple front counter manned by a tiny old Asian lady who speaks very little English. After a few moments of awkward communication, she will lead you down a hallway to a small, glass-encased room; all the while ignoring the indiscrete brown bags you and your friends are juggling. Once she’s closed the door, the boozing and belting can begin.

Unlike American romantic-comedy karaoke bars, where singing is often reserved for one brave volunteer on a center stage, J Music Studio styles its establishment on authentic Asian karaoke lounges. For an hourly rate, customers can rent out a private room stocked with a microphone, television, song menu, wrap-around couch and glamorous disco ball — fitting anywhere from four to 15, depending on if you’re going for intimate get-together or sweaty nightclub.

J Music Studio is intent on maintaining your privacy throughout the night — even when you’ve spilled so much beer your socks get soggy (to the tune of your favorite Journey ballad, of course).

This karaoke paradise is conveniently located amid several other indie Asian delights (read: Yogurt World, Tapioca Express, Tofu House), so you can enjoy dinner and drinks before you embark on your personalized musical journey — complete with a visual montage of ’90s-era Koreans interacting with nature behind lyrical prompts.

$2515
$5000