Muir Pumpkin Drop

FOCUS-pumpkin-20091030130351-2-JH
John Hanacek/Guardian

When the yearly pumpkin order placed by Muir College Resident Dean Pat Danylyshyn-Adams fell through, the fate of a 35-year-old tradition was looking grim.

It seemed the annual Muir Pumpkin Drop was in cancellation crosshairs.

That is, until Danylyshyn-Adams decided to send out an e-mail to nearly 600 of her past House Advisors — pleading them to donate a pumpkin large enough to hurl over the top floor of Tioga Hall.

The next morning, former House Advisor and Muir College alum Joseph Denzinio sent out a request to KUSI, San Diego’s independent television news station.

One thing led to another, and weatherman Joe Lizura came through with a pumpkin provider to keep the tradition alive, and even featured the Muir hopefuls in a televised segment.

Last Friday, Oct. 30, students dropped two candy-packed 200-pound pumpkins (dubbed “In” and “Out”) over an 11-story ledge. And although this year’s pumpkin failed to beat the college’s record for largest “splat” (currently held by 1995’s 398-pound pumpkin, which exploded its gourdy guts to over 100 feet from where it fell), the festival that followed compensated with games, prizes and pumpkin pie.

$2515
$5000