Art Hopping: MCASD Decks the Galleries for Winter

Cerca Series: “”Amy Adler””

MCASD, America Plaza in Downtown. Call 619.234.1001

Dec. 7 – Feb. 4

Director 2006,”” a new body of work from UCSD visual arts professor Amy Adler, reverses her usual method of artistic practice. Presenting pastel drawings that look like overexposed prints rather than photographic prints that look like pastel drawings, Adler references her own past work, as well as the reversible roles of camera and canvas.

Cerca Series:

“”Glenn Kaino””

Dec. 7 – Feb. 4

If you loved those Looney Tunes contraptions that started with a hammer and ended with a bowling ball plummeting toward Daffy Duck’s gaping jaw, then there’s a chance you will enjoy Glenn Kaino’s conceptual sculptures, involving do-it-yourself machinery and fabrication. In his newest installation, spawned from the idea that “”laws are made for rogues,”” Kaino explores individual verses group identity by way of pirates, ninjas and Zapatistas.

“”Material Actions””

Dec. 7 – Jan. 28

Marcel Duchamp knew how to take the shabbiest materials and infuse them with meaning, humor and beauty. Artists such as Bruce Conner, Martin Puryear, David Hammons and Petah Coyne continue this scratch-to-sculpture legacy with works that explore the physical quality of materials and the poignancy of junk, found objects and hand-crafted arts.

“”Brian Ulrich””

Dec. 16 – May 13

His photographs are stifling in their banality: a tower of soda pop; a wall curtained with animal print rugs; a row of glowing numbers above boxy-red checkout stands, guiding shoppers like the North Star. Chicago-based artist Brian Ulrich says a lot in his photographs that seem to say nothing, and our familiarity with these brand images reveals our collective guilt as mass consumerists at Target, Wal-Mart and Costco. His new series, “”Copia,”” in MCASD’s extended exhibit, documents this love-hate relationship with American retail. Only 14 large-scale prints of the series’ 50 works are sampled, but that’s enough prosaic imagery to whet (or ruin) your appetite.