Dilated Peoples Are Back for the Very Fourth Time, and They’re Bringing Along a Minstrel Show

Now that Dilated Peoples have dramatized a comeback all over MTV2 (they shamelessly released Eminem deja vu single “Back Again” off new album 20/20), a nationwide tour ensues. But they might have a clue that they’re not quite as popularly revitalized as they would like, because backpackers of the year Little Brother are bundling up their minstrel show and hitching a ride as the opening (and preferred) act. As for third thought Defari — can’t really explain that one for you.

In the late ’90s, Planet MCs Evidence and Rakaa found their saving grace in Beat Junkie DJ Babu, and the three released a few singles that substantially rumbled the underground but didn’t stray far from the general boom-bap of the day. Three well-received albums later, Dilated Peoples are “back” (“For the very fourth time”) and making some solid alternative hip-hop.

The 20/20 tour kicked off at the House of Blues in the trio’s hometown of Los Angeles, where the commencement energy ran untamed. (Everyone got a good nap in during Defari’s frat session and were ready to go once the real show started.) Big Pooh and Phonte of Little Brother just about somersaulted their set through the roof with a sweaty mic and beat volumes that neared gibberish in their usually smooth, foot-tappable tracks. But spectacle was worth the unrecognizable onslaught of noise, as an even bigger Pooh and partner Phonte turned to Tigger-bouncing explosions of spit and hyped the crowd so high they probably gave themselves heart attacks. Luckily, fans were able to make out frequent soul hooks amid the chaos so they could at least shout along sporadically and pretend to know what was going on.

Evidence (a weasely white kid), So and Rakaa (clown-haired teddy bear fond of the pensive five-finger touch) have to rely on their own talents, along with DJ Babu’s backdrop, to make this show work — and they do, and it does. Since the group’s material is the simple verse-hook-verse, catchy-beat type, it translates well onto the stage and surround sound’s thumpability. Evidence has a stage presence that far exceeds his scrawny moustache, and though Rakaa doesn’t speak up much, when he does, it counts.

But the star of this show is unmistakably DJ Babu — scratches like his surpass even the gnarliest bitch fight, and make us remember why we love a good old-fashioned hip-hop show. After almost five years together, his two MCs have molded to Babu’s unfailingly uplifting production, and everything falls into place on their third album and second career tour. Defari is forgiven (he was with them from the beginning), Little Brother is lovable and Dilated Peoples deserve every sold-out show on their trip.

Dilated Peoples, Little Brother and Defari will play at Belly Up Tavern on March 28.