Women’s volleyball ends win streak

The women’s volleyball team dropped its first match in six contests, falling to undefeated Cal Poly Pomona 3-1 on Oct. 1 at RIMAC Arena.

Andrew Mo/Guardian
    Air time:

The No. 10 Tritons (13-3 overall, 5-2 California Collegiate Athletic Association) came into the match on a five-game winning streak, including a straight-set victory the night before against Cal State Dominguez Hills. The No. 18 Broncos proved too strong, however, and won the last three games after dropping the first one to the Tritons.

In the first game, the Tritons fought hard to stay even with Pomona at 19-19. Junior Brianna Koche’s kill and junior Nicole Courtney’s two aces gave UCSD three straight points and a 22-19 advantage. The Broncos got back to within one point, 22-21, before UCSD poured on six consecutive points to extend its lead to 28-21. That lead proved to be enough as junior Kristin Halvorsen won the game for the Tritons, 30-22, on an ace.

The Broncos came out galloping in game two, taking a quick 2-7 lead in their attempt to bounce back from the game-one loss. The Tritons managed to tie it up twice at 12 and 22 apiece, but Cal Poly Pomona scored three straight points to take a 22-25 lead. The lead held up and the Broncos won the game 26-30 to tie the match up at 1-1.

In game three, the Broncos took a 6-13 lead that led to a 26-30 win and a 2-1 lead in the match. The Tritons got as close as 13-15, but never gained the momentum necessary to overtake the Broncos.

The Tritons fought hard but fell short in their comeback bid in game four, as Pomona maintained its spotless record. The score was tied as late as 26-26; however, Pomona wanted the last four points more and won the game 28-30.

Despite the loss, the Tritons are still in the middle of an impressive season with 13 wins.

The Tritons will next travel to Cal State Los Angeles on Oct. 6.