A.S. Council at a Glance

A.S. Meeting #14 — Dec 1, 2004

Public Input

President of the San Diego Israel Alliance Diane Meskin told the council that the Education Abroad Program and the Opportunities Abroad Program cancelled their studies in Israel in April 2002 after the U.S. increased its security threat warning for the country. The San Diego Israel Alliance is currently in discussions with the Programs Abroad Office to create a waiver that would allow students to study in countries that are deemed a security risk after waiving university liability.

John Muir College senior and former Koala editor Steve York announced his candidacy for the position of A.S. Elections Manager. The deadline for applications initially expired on Oct. 21, but was extended when no candidates applied for the position. York hoped that there would be other applicants in order to ensure efficient elections. Applications are available at asucsd.ucsd.edu.

Items of Immediate Consideration

Item N

The council allocated $500 to the A.S. Midnight Pancake Breakfast, which will take place at 11:59 pm on Dec. 6. The breakfast will be open to all students and will be served by campus faculty and administrators.

Reports

President Jenn Pae

Pae reported that there have been scheduling difficulties for the commencement ceremonies in 2008. As a result, the university and the A.S. Council have been discussing the postponement of the ceremonies. According to Pae, the council has submitted a suggestion that the 2008 spring break be extended for an additional week. Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Joseph W. Watson said granting the request would entail financial hardships for the university, but no decision has been made.

John Muir College Junior Senator Neil Spears

Spears reported that Muir College has begun its search for a new provost. The provost search committee will conduct a campuswide search and then interview candidates for the position. Once interviews have been completed, the committee will name the new provost, hopefully by the end of the 2005 winter quarter, Spears said.

Old Business

Item H

The council passed a resolution supporting the formation of a chancellor’s committee on sustainability. The council supported initiatives that promote energy conservation in order to ensure that there will be adequate energy for future generations.

New Business

Item A

The council plans to discuss and vote on amendments to A.S. election bylaws. The amendments would add a category of “no confidence” to any A.S. electoral race in which there is only one candidate. Any candidate running unopposed would have to receive more votes than the “no confidence” category in order to be elected to the position. If this should not occur, the position would remain vacant until filled by appointment.

— Compiled by Patrick Allen

Senior Staff Writer