Camejo holds campus rally

Independent vice-presidential candidate Peter Miguel Camejo railed against the Democratic and Republican parties at a Sept. 29 rally at Price Center.

The running mate of Ralph Nader, Camejo launched his California write-in campaign by addressing a variety of issues ranging from the war in Iraq to tuition hikes of UCSD students.

“If the wealthiest five percent paid the same [in taxes] as the average [citizen], we’d have no deficit. We could take back all of the tuition raises that have been given to you,” he said.

In his speech, Camejo outlined the stance of the Nader campaign on key election issues, including foreign policy, universal health care, immigrant rights and taxes.

Camejo’s appearance began a Southern California trip that includes UCLA and will culminate in his address to the Mexican American Political Association. Speaking in support of state drivers’ licenses for undocumented workers currently living and working in the country, Camejo said he hopes to capture these votes, saying that the Democrats may have a “run for their money” among California’s Latino voters.

Camejo also spoke about his opposition to the conflict in Iraq.

“The Nader campaign, in this election, represents the point of view of the overwhelming majority in the world, which is opposed to the U.S. occupation,” Camejo said.

At a rally following the press briefing, he told students the campaign placed priorities on civil liberties.

“The only candidate in this race for president who is opposed to the [USA] Patriot Act and the war is Nader,” he said.

When asked by a student for his opinion on perceived inconsistencies by opponent Sen. John Kerry’s (D-Mass.), Camejo called both Kerry and President George W. Bush “flip-floppers” for their positions.

Camejo also urged voters to oppose Proposition 62, which would limit the number of candidates in each election to two, without indicating parties. If passed, he argued, the measure would effectively outlaw the Libertarian and Green parties.

Sixth College junior Jonathon Harrison said he would consider voting for Nader after attending the rally.

“They’re really conscious of a lot of problems in the world,” he said.

John Muir College sophomore Darin Sean Lim Yankowitz, also in attendance, said he is an unaffiliated registered voter who objects to the current two-party political system. As a result, he said, he welcomes third-party candidates who appeal to those voters not represented by the major parties.

Nader’s name currently appears on the ballot in 32 states with another 12 states awaiting court decisions. In California and five other states that did not include him on the ballots, Nader is campaigning as a write-in candidate.