SD Lifeguard continues search for Daniel Cho

San Diego Lifeguard services said on April 18 that Sixth College freshman Daniel Lee Cho, who has been missing since his disappearance from La Jolla Shores State Beach on April 14, has not yet been located. The search for Cho will be evaluated on a daily basis, Lifeguard services said.

The church that Cho attended opened its doors to the UCSD community on April 18. The Jesus Community Church hoped to bring the UCSD community closer together through the event.

“On behalf of the Jesus Community Church, we would like to offer up our condolences, prayers and support to Daniel Cho’s family and friends,” pastor Walter Ko said. “We are all in mourning and Daniel will be missed by many. This has been a tragic experience for all of us.”

Sixth College Provost Gabriele Wienhausen said she appreciated the gesture made by Ko and by Cho’s family.

“It helps us that they allow us to be part of this,” Wienhausen said. “It’s an opportunity for us as a community to learn who we are and to grow through this very tragic accident, and to help all of us to feel that here at UCSD we have a place that we can call home.”

Sixth College has set up canvases for students to leave notes for Cho, a commuter student, and his family at the Sixth College administration building and in Sixth College Commuter Lounge.

A Sixth College community meeting was also held on April 16 at Camp Snoopy Dogg House for everyone at the college to get more information and talk about Cho’s disappearance.

According to San Diego Lifeguard services, lifeguards patrolling the shoreline have been instructed to scan the shore for Cho, while local helicopter agencies have been asked to fly over the shoreline whenever possible. In addition, scuba searches for Cho took place on April 16, before unfavorable weather conditions forced scuba searches to be called off. According to lifeguard Lt. Nick Lerma, it is impossible to predict whether or not Cho will be found.

“We’ve been continuing because we generally don’t like to stop,” Lerma said. “Our best hope is that he comes up on the shoreline … however, there’s no guarantee of that.”

Wienhausen said that the loss was especially difficult for Sixth College because of its small size. Sixth College currently enrolls less than 700 students in its two classes.

“We know that many students in the community are concerned and that many students knew about him and how caring and smart he was,” Wienhausen said. “He was one of those people who was so incredibly bright that he could help other students study and learn.”

Cho, who was undeclared, was a member of the Asian American Christian Fellowship on campus. The AACF will hold a prayer session for Cho at 7:30 p.m. on April 19 in Humanities and Social Sciences room 1330.

Psychological counselors are available to speak to students affected by Cho’s disappearance and can be reached Mondays through Fridays between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at (848) 534-3755.

$2515
    $5000