Company educates and entertains

The Parsons Dance Company will take the stage at Mandeville Auditorium for an evening of energetic and athletic dance on April 14. Headed by David Parson, who has been hailed as one of the most promising choreographers of his generation, the dance company has been praised for delivering performances that are exhilarating and captivating.

For almost 10 years, Parson performed as a leading dancer with the Paul Taylor Dance Company as well as making guest appearances with New York City Ballet, the Berlin Opera, MOMIX and the White Oak Dance Project. In 1987, Parson left Paul Taylor Dance Company and founded the dance company that now bears his name. He started the company with lighting designer Howell Binkley in order to give himself a venue for creating his own work.

Specifically, Parson wanted to create work that focuses on collaboration with composers and leading artists in theatrical design. In fact, out of the more than 60 pieces that Parson has choreographed for his company, 20 of them have unique commissioned scores.

Not only does Parson choreograph for his own company, but he has received commissions from American Ballet Theatre, New York City Ballet, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre, the American Dance Festival, the Spoleto Festival, Het Muziektheater in Amsterdam, Jacob’s Pillow Dance Festival, and now Paul Taylor Dance Company. While he works on these projects, he also allows dancers in his company to choreograph for themselves.

Parson is not only interested in creating dance, but also in educating the public about it. The company conducts tours around the country and has residency components in Wisconsin, Delaware and Ohio. The Parsons Dance Company is well known for their lectures, symposia, workshops and master classes that are offered to the communities in which they perform.

The Parsons Dance Company is made up of nine dancers who indulge in Parson’s brilliant and daring choreography. The company will perform at Mandeville Auditorium on April 14. Tickets are $27 for the general public; $26 for faculty, staff and senior citizens; and $15 for students. and can be purchased online at Ticketmaster, by phone at (858) 534-4559, or in person at the UCSD Box Office.

$2515
    $5000