Album Reviews

With a cult-like following and a career that’s spanned over a decade, it seems natural that Tori Amos would release a greatest-hits album that features 18 of her classic songs that have been digitally remastered, along with two brand-new tracks.

In some cases, remastering is a good thing. “”God”” is clearer, especially the background vocals. In other cases, such as “”Spark”” and “”Crucify,”” the songs are so overproduced that they lose the feeling and meaning they originally had, transforming heartbreaking songs into less-inspired pieces. Additionally, the dance remix of “”Professional Widow”” adds little to what Amos’ music is truly about ‹ the original version would have added much more.

The new songs included on the album (“”Angels”” and “”Snow Cherries from France””) fit right in with her older songs. The album also includes “”Me and a Gun,”” Amos’ haunting ballad about her rape (which consists solely of vocals), which thankfully wasn’t touched.

The album comes with a bonus DVD featuring live tracks and an extensive photo gallery. It’s a nice touch, though the live tracks, which come from the sound checks on Amos’ recent tour, would have been better had they come from actual concert footage.

$2515
    $5000