hiatus calendar

Thursday 05/22/03

Come see local actors and directors – including UCSD alumni and current students – at the 13th annual Actors Alliance Festival put on by the nonprofit organization Actors Alliance of San Diego. One of the largest festivals of its kind, the festival will showcase the talents of over 100 actors, 26 directors, 20 playwrights and hundreds of volunteers. There will be 26 plays during its two-week run. Show your support of local theater by visiting this event to see current UCSD students Amir Khastoo and Lance Rogers, among others, when they perform. Tickets for individual shows are $12 and $10 for members, students, seniors and military. The festival runs through May 25. For more information, call (619) 640-3900 or visit http://www.actorsalliance.com.

If you’ve wanted to see local favorites Rochelle, Rochelle but haven’t had the chance, this is your perfect opportunity. The Santee quartet will be playing an in-store concert at Lou’s Records in Encinitas where you will be able to experience their infectious guitar and addictive choruses. While you’re there, you’ll be able to take a look around the record store voted this year’s “”best CD store”” in the Guardian. This tempting concert is free and will begin at 4 p.m. For more information, call (760) 753-1382.

Friday 05/23/03

That famous love scene with Deborah Kerr and Montgomery Clift rolling in the waves has been mimicked in everything from “”Beverly Hills, 90210″” to “”Six Days and Seven Nights”” but now you can see the original when the Museum of Photographic Arts in Balboa Park screens “”From Here to Eternity”” as part of its “”See the Movie, Read the Book”” film festival. The classic black and white film, directed by Fred Zinneman, is based on the book by James Jones and will be shown at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. Admission to the film is $5. For more information, call (619) 238-7559.

Saturday 05/24/03

Got a whole day to waste? Then there is no better way to spend it than heading downtown to the Gaslamp Quarter for the 28th annual Smooth Jazz 98.1 Jazz Festival. From 1 p.m. to 10 p.m., the streets of San Diego will be crawling with fans waiting to see great national and local jazz artists on two stages. Artists playing include Euge Groove, Poncho Sanchez, Bobby Caldwell, Mindi Abair, Mark Antoine and others. Tickets are $35 the day of the event. For more information visit their Web site at http://www.KIFM.com/jazzfest/index.cfm.

For a mere $8, you could be at The Casbah enjoying some first-rate punk rock. For fans of excessively creepy and theatrical punk, Pleasure Forever (with ex-members of Slaves and VSS) will bring their melodic musical arrangements that include piano, organ and, of course, guitar. But Pleasure Forever isn’t the only great band you’ll hear. You’ll also get a good dose of Starlight Desperation, Gogogo Airheart and The Starvations. The show starts at 8:30 p.m. For more information, call (619) 232-4355.

Prepare for some enormously effective female rock when you come to the “”Bitches that Rock”” concert at Brick by Brick. Bands featured for this evening of great music and fun include Abigail’s Attic, Boobie Trap, Siren and Bragdoll. Doors open at 8 p.m. For tickets and information, call (619) 275-LIVE.

Sunday 05/25/03

Ok, so they might be pale and wimpy, but they’re rock musicians — they can get away with it. That’s right, Silvertide will be coming to San Diego and will play at Brick by Brick. The band that hails from Philadelphia is notorious for its shows and for bringing back that nostalgic feeling of classic rock from bygone days. And what’s better than getting to see Silvertide in concert? You also get to see The Makeout Boys and Nativ Flux. Tickets are a bargain $7. Doors open at 8 p.m. For tickets and information, call (619) 275-LIVE.

Some of its members used to be in Christian bands, but don’t mistake King’s X as a Christian band. Their complex, singular songs and skillful musicianship have helped the trio build a large following. The highly respected group will play at 4th and B at 8 p.m. Doors open at 7 p.m. They will play with Fishbone and Brothers from Another Planet. Tickets are $20. For more information, call (619) 231-4343.

Tuesday 05/27/03

You could see the next big band when you go to “”Spotlight San Diego”” at the Belly Up Tavern. This local music showcase features three local artists that are undiscovered every Tuesday night. Be on the cutting edge of music by going to this concert. Former spotlighted bands include Swerve, B-Side Players, Joey Bowen Band and more! If you’re interested in playing at this event, contact Scott McDonald at (858) 481-8040. Or if you just want to see this exciting local event, call (858) 481-8140 for more information. The show starts at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $3.

Wednesday 05/28/03

Feel like dancing but don’t want to go to a club where you’ll be petted by nasty drunk guys? Then your best bet will be to see the Urban Gypsys when they play at Belly Up Tavern. This exciting SoCal band delivers danceable retro, R&B, disco, funk, blues and rock. Get ready to shake your booty. The show starts at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $5. For more information, call the box office at (858) 481-8140.

$2515
    $5000