UCSD, admits enjoy cultural celebration

The 25th annual cultural celebration was held by the Leadership Committee for Cultural Connections on April 12. The event featured culture booths offering ethnic food, dancing and music and coincided with UCSD’s Admit Day, allowing both the UCSD community and prospective students to attend.

Tyler Huff

“”The food is probably the biggest attraction here,”” said Thurgood Marshall College junior Kim Marino. “”It’s the only time when you can come to one spot to get all kinds of food that you would have to drive all over San Diego to get normally.””

Campus and community organizations had booths set up with information for visitors. The Academic Success Program, Black Staff Association and the UCSD Equal Opportunity/Staff Affirmative Action group were among the many associations who were present at the culture celebration.

“”We’re also out here for the staff, if anyone wants information about opportunities we have,”” said Cynthia Martin, a representative of the UCSD Equal Opportunity/Staff Affirmative Action group.

There were also many events for children including llama rides all afternoon, a balloon artist, story tellers, free cotton candy, and arts and crafts. Throughout the event, there were also over 15 different featured entertainment presentations that ranged from a Cesar Chavez stamp presentation to Aztec dancers to a Jing martial arts demonstration. Several UCSD groups performed as well, such as the UCSD Hawaii Club, the UCSD Thai culture club and the Kaibigang Pilipino group.

The event coincided with Admit Day, where students recently admitted to UCSD for the fall 2003 quarter had the opportunity to visit campus. Many prospective students were at the cultural celebration and one visiting high school senior, Kristin Leopold from Encinitas, said that the celebration and the day overall helped her to gain a good sense of what UCSD was about.

$2515
    $5000