A.S. considers Price Cener ice cream parlor

In a special presentation to the A.S. Council, five members of an A.S. Ice Cream Committee reported on the prospect of an A.S.-funded ice cream parlor to be located in the soon-to-be-renovated game room area of the Price Center.

Commissioner of Services and Enterprises Jeremy Gallagher, Muir Sophomore Senator Jeremy Cogan, Eleanor Roosevelt College Sophomore Senator Desiree Jabson, Earl Warren College Sophomore Senator Kirsten Bowen and ERC Freshman Senator Max Harrington reported that the University Centers Advisory Board “”supports ice cream ideas”” in the game room’s renovation and that the committee will submit a formal proposal to UCAB shortly.

According to the Jan. 29 presentation, the committee has been looking at ice cream brands that could be used in a parlor, including Ben and Jerry’s, Cold Stone Creamery, Haagen Das, Marble Slab Creamery, Moo Time and Baskin Robbins.

The committee members reported, however, that they are leaning toward the Freshens brand, which currently services John Muir College’s Sierra Summit. Unlike the other brands, the committee members reported, Freshens charges no royalty or advertising fees, loans equipment and offers a variety of ice cream concepts, including soft serve, “”on the rock creamery”” similar to Cold Stone ice cream, and smoothies.

Revelle Sophomore Senator Achim Lyon voiced his displeasure with the committee’s leanings toward Freshens during the question-and-answer segment of the presentation, saying that he had hoped the new facility would feature parlor shop ice cream along the lines of Moo Time.

Cogan responded by saying the committee is still open to suggestions from A.S. Council members.

According to the committee members, Freshens is a better choice than other brands because the brand charges less and has expressed eagerness to conduct business at UCSD. The committee members projected that with Freshens, they would see their initial investment paid back within three to four months of opening.

Freshens, the committee said, is the “”most compatible with overall goals,”” and the committee plans “”to continue developing our enterprise strategy around Freshens brand.””

The ice cream parlor would be controlled by the A.S. Office of Enterprise Operations, and revenue would be used to fund A.S. ventures.