hiatus calendar

Thursday 01/09/03

The Tony Award-winning, smash Broadway musical “”The Producers”” is making its way to the San Diego Civic Theatre for its first West Coast booking. Running until Sunday, the show will star Lewis J. Stadlen in the role of the mercenary producer that Nathan Lane made famous, as well as Don Stephenson as the panicky accountant whom Matthew Broderick played. While tickets for the Broadway show went as high at $480, you can get them from $34.50 to $77. For information call (619) 570-1100 or visit http://www.broadwaysd.com.

With the release of their new remix album, “”Mixed Signals,”” indie band Tristeza has commenced touring again and will play at The Casbah as part of their tour. With a quickly growing fan base and stellar reviews, Tristeza is quickly making a name for itself. Their unique instrumental sounds combined with well-planned synths will have you listening in disbelief. Ilya and Loopdrop will also be playing. Tickets are $10. The show starts at 8:30 p.m. For information call (619) 232-4355.

Friday 01/10/03

For those interested in the artwork of local artists, Randall Christopher, a UCSD visual arts graduate student, will be hosting a reception for his new exhibit, “”Stories,”” at the Visual Arts Facility at 7 p.m. This modern art exhibit is based on marks made by skateboards on ramps and are taken from the ramps themselves. An example of the urban creative process, Christopher’s work is exciting and new. For more information check out www.kleemanandmike.com, or e-mail [email protected].

As Walt Whitman famously said, “”This is the female form/ A fine nimbus exhales from it head to foot/ It attracts with fierce undeniable attraction …”” This awe for the female body and females in general is the focus of the new exhibit at the San Diego Museum of Art in Balboa Park. “”Painting Women: Fragonard to Bouguerau”” features paintings from renowned artists Jean-Honore Freagonard, William Bouguereau, Joaquin Sorolla, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec and Peter Hurd, with Fragonard’s “”A Young Girl Reading”” as the focal piece. The exhibit is running from now until Apr. 27. Tickets are $8. For information call (619) 232-7931.

Saturday 01/11/03

Inspired by the metal so typical of the 1960s, L.A. trio Nebula combines the deep bass of blues with rhythm guitars and ferocious drumming. In support of their latest release, “”Charged,”” Nebula will be playing at The Casbah with Earthless, Bartender’s Bible and NRA. If you’re a fan of Black Sabbath or Stooges, or you just like exhilarating guitar and meaningful music you must check out Nebula. The show starts at 8:30 p.m. For information call (619) 232-4355.

The Jamaican born-reggae star known as Eek-a-Mouse just can’t seem to tear himself away from San Diego, because he’s back playing at the Belly Up Tavern. Originally named Ripton Hylton Trenchtown, he has gained enormous popularity and devoted fans with his enthusiastic performances and humorous and genuine songs. Spawning hip-hop to dance hall, Eek-a-Mouse is by far one of the most elclectic artists to work in popular music today. If you missed him when he played at Porter’s Pub, here’s your chance to see him again. Tickets are $15 and the show starts at 9:15 p.m.

Sunday 01/12/03

When Jack Russell, the vocalist and founder of Great White, left the band in 2001 to pursue a solo career, the music world was stunned. The Southern Californian blues-rock band that had defied the stereotype of ’80s glam rock and had succeeded in selling over 6 million records was losing its heart and soul! But do not fear, because Jack Russell is back performing with Great White and you can see them at 4th and B for a mere $20. Perhaps most famous for their 1984 hit, “”Once Bitten, Twice Shy,”” the band will give a great performance. Also playing are Sirens Wail and Malady. For information call (619) 213-4343.

Monday 01/13/03

We’re here in San Diego where there’s endless sun, ocean and beach so why not take advantage of it? The perfect opportunity to experience the amenities offered by San Diego is presented by Hornblower Whalewatching Cruises. With their three-and-a-half-hour-long cruises, you will see the best of the San Diego Harbor as well as those majestic whales (sightings are guaranteed).

Their state-of-the-art, 50-foot boat can fit up to 600 people and can travel over 14 knots. With commentary by the captain and educational videos, you will definitely get your money’s worth. Tours leave at 9:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. and will be going on through March. Tickets are $12.50 and $25. For information call (800) 668-4322.

Wednesday 01/15/03

For those people who are fans of catchy rock tunes, Creeper Lagoon is the band for you. This quartet of handsome young men will bring their indie alternative, party, happy rock music to The Casbah when they play at 8:30 p.m.

With songs that aren’t too deep or critical, you will instead get songs that are just fun and enjoyable. Tickets are $8. For information call (619) 232-4355.

Shaved head twenty-eight-year-old Erykah Badu is shaking up the music world again with her third album, “”Mama’s Gun.”” This time she is more mature and it shows in her music. With music and words that are raw and emotional, she will force you to love and feel for her while she’s tearing your heart out with her voice.

The multi-talented star has proven to be a capable writer, director, producer, poet, dramatist and visual artist, and now you can see her at her best when she comes to the Belly Up Tavern. Tickets are $40 so hurry before she sells out, which she most certainly will. The show starts at 9 p.m. For information call (858) 481-9022.

$2515
    $5000