Troupe resigns from UCSD

Former California poet laureate Quincy Troupe announced on Dec. 3 his intent to resign from his position as a UCSD literature professor. His resignation will take effect at the end of the 2002-03 academic year in June. He will continue teaching at UCSD until then.

Quincy Troupe
    UCSD professor of literature

“”I very much regret my lapse in judgment and the problems it has created for my department and the broader UCSD community,”” Troupe said in his resignation letter.

He held a news conference at UCSD on Dec. 3, accompanied by his wife and a few colleagues, during which he answered questions regarding his resignation.

“”I’m the kind of person who faces up to my mistakes,”” Troupe said.

Troupe had not been asked to resign by the university, and he could have remained on the faculty, according to Richard Attiyeh, vice chancellor for research and dean of graduate studies. Attiyeh said he was “”extremely impressed by the dignity with which [Troupe] has handled himself.””

Troupe explained at the news conference that he resigned both because of the distress the situation was causing his family and colleagues, and because of the “”overwhelming”” pity being directed at him.

“”I’ve never been looked at by anyone with a look of pity,”” Troupe said. “”But I would see that in some people. I didn’t want that.””

His resignation comes almost two months after he resigned as the nominee for California’s first poet laureate. He had admitted to falsifying information on his resume, a discrepancy that was discovered during a routine background check while his nomination was awaiting confirmation by the state senate.

The falsified degree also appeared on Troupe’s resume for his UCSD faculty position. After the initial revelation, the university began an investigation that could have had several different conclusions.

“”There are options open to the university … [ranging] from reprimand, censure … [to] some financial penalty, and it could include dismissal,”” said Vice Chancellor of External Relations James Langley in October. Troupe’s resignation effectively brings the investigation to a close.

Troupe, 63, claimed on his resume to have graduated with a bachelor’s degree from Grambling State University in Louisiana. The background check revealed that this was false; he had not attained a degree. According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, Troupe later said that although he had no degree, he studied political science at Grambling from 1957 to 1958.

The San Diego academic community was divided in their reactions to Troupe’s resignation.

“”We in the arts are totally in awe and completely saddened and hurt and outraged by the loss of Quincy Troupe,”” said literature professor Eileen Myles.

Lawrence Hinman, a philosophy professor at the University of San Diego, believed that the university had no choice but to eventually fire Troupe.

“”I am relieved he chose to do the honorable thing by resigning,”” Hinman said. “”He’s a great poet, but he needs to be a great poet somewhere else.””

Chancellor Robert C. Dynes said that while he agreed with Troupe’s decision, “”he will be greatly missed as a colleague and friend”” after he resigns.

“”His decision reflects our shared view that teachers are role models who must uphold the intellectual honesty we cherish as a community of scholars,”” Dynes said.

Troupe said he intends to move to New York with his family to continue his poetry.