hiatus calendar

Friday-Saturday 12/6-7/02

Short on cash but still want to check out San Diego? There is no better opportunity to see the best of what San Diego has to offer than to visit Balboa Park at the Balboa Park’s December Nights 2002, the 25th anniversary of Christmas on the Prado. Come celebrate the holidays and get yourself cultured from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. This free holiday celebration offers all sorts of activities, performances and foods that you can enjoy. There will be an African drumming troupe; international music, including bagpipes and a Serbian Orthodox Choir; ethnic folk dancers; a Santa Lucia Procession; and free international food. There is nothing more you can ask for!

Friday 12/6/02

What could be better than a magical wonderland of animals and lights? The Wild Animal Park in Escondido will come to life during these upcoming cold December nights with their annual festival of lights. Over 100,000 lights will brighten the park with animal light sculptures, children’s activities, live animal shows, carolers and countless other activities and events. Those who are young at heart, who love animals or just love the romantic atmosphere of the lights should definitely not miss it. The festival is free with park admission and runs daily from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. Admission prices are $26.50 for adults and $19.50 for kids under 11. Parking is $6 per car. For more information call (760) 796-5615.

Tuesday 12/10/02

Finals starting to get to you? Then take a break and steer yourself to Canes Bar & Grill to see the Santa Barbara punk band The Ataris. The band that brought you those great songs like “”San Dimas High School Football Rules”” and “”The Radio Still Sucks”” will bring their high jinks and humor when they perform their catchy punk tunes. Also playing are Rufio, Sugarcult and The Go Relflex. The show starts at 7:30 p.m. and tickets are $15. This event is 16-and-up with a valid ID.

Wednesday 12/11/02

Spend a nostalgic evening with a loved one at one of San Diego’s great film festivals. The San Diego Museum of Art in Balboa Park will be showing its next films in a series of American movie classics. This month’s flick is “”From Here To Eternity,”” the classic war film with that famous love scene among the crashing waves. The film stars Frank Sinatra, Burt Lancaster, Montgomery Clift and Deborah Kerr. In addition to the feature film, a newsreel and cartoon will also be shown from the same period. The newsreel will be “”Lowell Thomas Remembers 1954,”” and the cartoon is “”When Mousehood Was in Flower.”” The screening starts at 7 p.m. Tickets are a mere $6 to $7, so you have no reason not to see one of the best films of all time. For more information call (619) 239-2001.

Monday 12/23/02

For perhaps the most singular Christmas variety shows around, head directly to The Casbah, where the international performer known as the Mexican Elvis, El Vez, will be performing as part of his Sno Way Jose Christmas Tour. The zany bilingual star is the former guitarist and vocalist for the punk band The Zeros, but has since made a name for himself as a spectacular Elvis impersonator who belts out such favorites as “”En el Barrio”” and “”Viva la Raza.”” The Christmas show will also feature special guests Rabbi Gimbel’s Chanakahtime Revue and Voodoo organist in the Atari Lounge. The show starts at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $15.

Friday 12/27/02

Learn something and have fun at the Kwanzaa celebration at the WorldBeat Cultural Center in Balboa Park. The free celebration will offer poetry readings, candle lighting, crafts and international food in honor of “”Kujichagulia,”” the second day of Kwanzaa. Come out and celebrate diversity with San Diego’s international community. The event starts at 6 p.m. For more information call (619) 230-1190.

Tuesday 12/31/02

Bummed because you can’t make it out to New York to see the ball drop at midnight? Fret no more. The Hyatt Regency in La Jolla is having their Times Square West celebration with five stages throughout the hotel, which will feature various types of music from steel drums to swing bands. At midnight, a 12-foot ball will be dropped from the 16th floor in time with a laser light show, fireworks, confetti and of course, music. There will be no lack of excitement and fun, but it is a bit expensive. The show that starts at 7:30 p.m. and runs $99 per person.

Former altar boy, street performer and guitarist for Jewel, Steve Poltz will give you a New Year’s Eve you won’t forget when he performs at The Casbah. Poltz, along with the Rugburns, will deliver the catchy pop, folk, alternative tunes and melodies that he is famous for. The show starts at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $20 and this price includes the champagne toast, party hats and noisemakers.

Not old enough to drink or get into those other New Year’s events? Then First Night San Diego at Sea Port Village is where you need to be at midnight. San Diego’s annual alcohol-free celebration will feature six stages with different artists ranging from Agent 22 at the KSDS jazz stage to Los Princepes del Merengue and the salsa dance troupe Switch at the Radio Latina stage. Fireworks will light up the night air when the clock strikes 12, so even if you’re not inebriated past the point of consciousness you can still have a good time in a good, clean, family-friendly environment. Tickets are $10-$20, but the price does not include food or souvenirs. For more information call (619) 296-8731.