Students share Silk Road travels

Students and staff from “”The Silk Road to the Future”” program spoke about their experiences in China at a Nov. 22 presentation, informing interested students about the opportunity to embark on a weeklong trip to China as ambassadors of peace.

Adam Breckler

Sponsored by the nonprofit cultural organization Legends of China, the program will enable students to travel to various locations in Beijing, the country’s capital, as well as other cities in China on the optional side trip. The organization, based in Los Angeles and Beijing, sends up to 500 American students from different universities and 500 Chinese students to visit places like the Forbidden City, the Great Wall, Tiananmen Square and several Chinese universities.

“”I greatly recommend going on this journey to experience the dynamics of visiting different cities,”” said sophomore Achim Lyon.

After Lyon and several staff members spoke, students were encouraged to ask questions about the aspects of the program. Participants in the program also presented pictures and a slide show.

“”I was curious about the trip,”” said Revelle College junior Amy Wei, a presentation attendee. “”I have a more solid idea of the program and am highly considering it.””

In addition to traveling to historical sites in China, participants will be able to interact with Chinese students while they travel and learn about the culture.

“”It’s one thing to learn about the history of a culture in the classroom, but to actually talk to people who live [in China] is a completely different educational experience,”” said Melanie Horn, an assistant resident dean at Eleanor Roosevelt College who traveled with the program during the summer of 2002.

In addition to traveling, academic programs and other cultural activities will also be held for the students. One activity includes designing silk panels that will be sewn together into a banner to be used at the opening ceremony of the 2008 Olympics that will be held in Beijing. The program also provides students the chance to look at historical statues, present-day architecture of China, Buddhist temples, restaurants and various other sights of the country.

“”The trip is more like experiential learning,”” said Assistant Vice Chancellor of Student Educational Advancement Loren Thompson. “”Learning takes place in the street level by observation and direct individual contact with Chinese people.””

Others also spoke about the importance of building relations with China through such programs as “”The Silk Road to the Future.”” According to Assistant Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Ed Spriggs, China will probably be one of the most powerful countries in the future. Consequently, he said, it is important to build camaraderie between the United States and China, and become familiar with their society.

“”It’s important to learn more about one of the great civilizations in the globe so that we can look forward to being partners in the future with greater understanding,”” Spriggs said.

The total cost for the weeklong trip is $998 per student, which includes a round-trip ticket, hotel, meals, programs, transportation and other necessities. There is also an optional side trip that costs an additional $468 and includes exploring other Chinese cities. The extended trip will last 10 days, as opposed to seven for the main tour.

Those who are interested in the program must turn in a registration form as soon as possible and place a $100 deposit by April 1. This date is still tentative and should be checked at http://www.legendsofchina.com. Registration forms and further information can also be found at Student Center B 224-225.