The Donnas bring punk to the newly re-opened Soma

The Donnas, a Palo Alto punk band whose sound comes straight out of those long-lost days of Moetley Cruee and their big-haired cohorts, have made their way into the major label ballpark this year with their Atlantic Records debut, “”The Donnas Spend the Night.””

Courtesy of http://members.tripod.com/livepics/DonnaSBK

Formed in 1993 when its members were just 14 years old, the Donnas had a modest start under the name Raggedy Anne, performing in high school battle-of-the-bands competitions and local Christmas benefits. Since then, they have put out a host of 7-inch vinyl releases and four full-length records, including “”American Teenage Rock ‘n’ Roll Machine”” (Lookout! Records, 1998), “”The Donnas Get Skintight”” (Lookout! Records, 1999) and “”The Donnas Turn 21″” (Lookout! Records, 2001).

Their music, a combination of simple punk rock formula and arena-worthy riffs reminiscent of that gladly forgotten butt-rock era, is about 25 years too late.

At the onset of their mainstream popularity, it was said that they were merely a fabrication — the creation of some big-time producers and their mass media machinery. But the Donnas have put in their time and played their share of small clubs and unwelcoming audiences. In fact, they will be celebrating their 10th anniversary next May. They are no product of the media.

However, since signing with Atlantic Records, their look has begun to shift toward that ever-familiar glossy image that one can find splashed across the vastness of mainstream music. It’s starting to look as if, despite their punk rock roots, their new sexy persona will lead them into pop star territory to cohabitate with a mob of boy bands and girl groups.

But the Donnas seem to be attempting to maintain some semblance of the raucous, dirty background that spawned them. Their official Web site, http://ww.thedonnas.com, includes a whole gallery of tour photos that depict the band at their unruly best. Perhaps their potential “”Total Request Live”” stardom hasn’t destroyed their integrity — yet.

They are currently headlining a tour with the support of the Campfire Girls and Your Enemies Friends.

The Donnas

Playing at The Scene

7514 Clairemont Blvd.

Nov. 29 at 8 p.m

Tickets: $13

$2515
    $5000