hiatus calendar

Thursday 10/17/02

The new trend is experimental electronica. If you are already a big fan or interested in learning more about it, check out Maktub at the Belly Up Tavern. The Seattle-based band is part of this new improvisational, more soulful wave, and includes some funk and acid jazz, rather than generic rock, into their act. Also playing are Maroon Tub and DJ D74. The show starts at 8:30 p.m. and tickets are $5.

Friday 10/18/02

What’s better than an evening of great music and movies? Nothing. So get your booty over to the Landmark’s Ken Cinema in Kensington to watch Rookie Card perform on the opening night of “”I Am Trying to Break Your Heart.”” Rookie Card is a globally unsigned band with a lot of promise. The film chronicles the dramatic making of the fourth album, “”Yankee Hotel Foxtrot,”” by the band Wilco. Tickets are $8 and the showings are at 6:45 p.m. and 9 p.m. For more information call (619) 283-5909.

A truly unique and innovative music listening experience is waiting for you at ‘Canes Bar and Grill when the Supreme Beings of Leisure play tonight. The duo meld slick Hollywood visuals with electronic pop, house and disco. The stylish vocals will evoke an atmosphere of superhero-meets-sleek-secret-spy-at-a-cocktail party. Come and dance. The show starts at 9 p.m. and tickets are $12. The show is 16 and up.

There just isn’t enough soul in the world. But that’s OK because Karl Denson will give you some of his great soulful jazz that will force you to get up and dance. Based in San Diego, the perfectionist Denson will astound you with his stylish saxophonist melodies and danceable songs. Accompanied by his band, he will deliver accessible yet authentic jazz that is sure to please. To rediscover jazz you can enjoy and sing yourself, check him out at 4th and B at 9 p.m. Tickets are $20.

Saturday 10/19/02

Bob Dylan, a living legend among singers and songwriters, comes to the SDSU Open Air Theater. He redefined the popular music canon and helped make music more personal. He’s been everything: a folk artist, political protester, asthetic spiritualist and much more. The ever-cutting-edge (no matter how old he is) Dylan will always be a hero among musical artists. His show starts at 8 p.m. and tickets are $38.25.

How about a little bit of high culture? Direct yourself toward the Museum of Contemporary Art in downtown La Jolla. The Christo and Jeanne-Claude in the Vogel Collection will feature the works of the notorious artists who make giant “”wrapped”” artworks. The exhibit will span the 40-year career of the husband-wife artistic team, including drawings, collages and models. To understand the magnitude of their artistic contributions, you must go. The show runs until Jan. 5, 2003. For more information call (858) 454-3541.

Sunday 10/20/02

This is your last chance to see the latest play of San Diego’s highly praised playwright Jose Rivera, “”Adoration of the Old Woman.”” This mature play tells the story of a 103-year-old Puerto Rican woman struggling between the demands of a rebellious great granddaughter and a ghost that haunts her. Highly educational, the play discusses the history of Puerto Rico while at the same time bringing the circumstances of the characters to a personal level. Tonight is the last night to see it. The show starts at 8 p.m. at the La Jolla Playhouse and tickets range from $39 to $49. For more information call (858) 550-1010.

Monday 10/21/02

Washed up British rock band of the 1980s? Not quite. Now you can become one of the obsessive cult members for The Cult. The Cult now returns to the limelight with their interesting brand of psychedelic, symphonic, metal goth music inspired by Apache Indian music. They will play at 4th and B. The show starts at 8 p.m. and tickets are $29.91.

Tuesday 10/22/02

Known as the “”folkie in punk’s clothing,”” Ani DiFranco has succeeded in maintaining her uniquely curious individuality in music today. Not a commercial poster girl, she is the opposite of the popular Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera, who sing sappy, sexy, dirty pop songs. DiFranco is the intelligent, anti-fascist, feminist babe who sings funk and jazz as easily as she can sing folk or alternative rock. Her songs are filled with realistic, yet not gooey, emotions and analysis. To experience the unbelievably talented, witty and astute observations of the mysterious woman who is Ani DiFranco, come see her for yourself at Copley Symphony Hall in downtown San Diego. The show starts at 8 p.m. and tickets start at $32.

Wednesday 10/23/02

One of the sexiest musical artists to have crossed the Spanish language barrier is coming to the San Diego Sports Arena. Enrique Iglesias, the man who could be read out of an O-Chem book and still make the ladies drool, is coming to San Diego as part of his world tour. The sexy, unshaven Latin crooner will be singing in Spanish, English and even Italian (eat your heart out, Ricky Martin). The show begins at 7:30 p.m., and tickets range from $38 to$58.