ERC students approve $5 activity fee referendum

The polls closed at 4 p.m. on Oct. 11 to decide the fate of the Eleanor Roosevelt College new student activity fee. By a majority of 71 percent, the ERC community firmly voted yes.

“”We had a good turnout, and everything went OK,”” said Tom Chapman, ERC junior and A.S. Council freshman interim senator.

The voter turnout was well above the required 15 percent, according to Chapman. Currently, the referendum awaits only the final approval from the UC Regents, which is expected sometime this week.

The $5 increase of ERC quarterly fees will not go into effect until next quarter. However, according to Chapman, there are already several ideas and plans being formulated by the Student Council of ERC.

For example, there are three new clubs at ERC that previously were not able to receive any funding.

“”One of the first things we plan to do is give money to those events and clubs that asked and didn’t get anything [from SCERC],”” Chapman said.

Some students were not enthusiastic about the student activity fee. Representing the dissenting 29 percent, ERC freshman Raina Katbi does not look forward to increased fees for the rest of her tenure at UCSD.

“”I voted against the referendum. Personally, I think it sucks because I don’t have a lot of money,”” Katbi said.

Yet in accordance with the overwhelmingly affirmative vote, there are still many other students who are excited that the referendum passed.

“”I think that if it provides us with a lot of opportunities for activities, then it’s well worth its costs to us,”” said ERC freshman Zack Grounds. “”I look forward to dances or whatever they have set up.””

$2515
    $5000