SUMMER MOVIE PREVIEWS

June 14

The Bourne Identity

Starring Matt Damon, Franka Potente and Julia Stiles

Plot: Jason Bourne has no memory. When his bullet-riddled body washes ashore in the Mediterranean, Bourne has no idea who he is. The only thing to help him figure it out is a microfilm implanted under his skin. The film leads Bourne to a bank account and a name that could be his own, but marks him a wanted man and hints that he is a secret agent. Determined to figure out his true identity. Bourne embarks on a mission to find himself. A task that proves daunting when armed forces would rather see him dead.

Outlook: This is Matt Damon’s first action film. He is accompanied through the fast paced thrill ride by Franka Potente (“”Run Lola Run””), who has given up her neon hair to play the role of Marie. The character of Jason Bourne is proficient in the martial arts, but Damon, as Bourne, seems surprised every time he lets a punch fly. Potente has retained some of her “”Lola”” grit and keeps up amicably with Damon’s attempts at a tough guy. Sadly, the romance that flourishes between the two characters is forced. Audiences should look for exciting car chases and Julia Stiles as a computer whiz.

June 21

Minority Report

Starring Tom Cruise, Colin Farrell and Samantha Morton

Plot: In the future, there exists the capability to catch criminals and charge them for crimes that they are about to commit. The system is considered perfect even by Chief Paul Anderton (Cruise), who has made a career out of jumping through roofs of unsuspecting future-criminals. But suddenly Anderton himself is labeled a future criminal and the hunter becomes the hunted. Suspecting foul play by his colleague, conniving Danny Witwer (Farrell), Anderton sets out to defend himself and prove the system wrong.

Outlook: This latest installment from the Spielberg camp looks promising. The visual effects alone will draw audiences to the theater. The scene where Cruise jumps from one moving space-vehicle to another looks particularly breathtaking. The story also has its attractive qualities. There is the question, though, of how three people, partially submerged in a large swimming pool, can see the future. British newcomer Samantha Morton plays one of the three clairvoyants and the one who Cruise personally chooses to help him escape life as a criminal. “”Minority Report”” will hopefully not be as daunting as “”A.I.”” and just as good at “”E.T.”” You may need a swimming pool full of psychics to tell you exactly how good, though.

July 3

Men In Black II

Starring Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones and Lara Flynn Boyle

Plot: The men in black are back. This sequel to the 1997 summer hit reunites Agent J (Smith) with retired Agent K (Jones) as members of an exclusive government agency designed to keep tabs on extraterrestrials living on Earth. When a daunting task arises in the agency, Agent K has to be taken out of retirement as a U.S. postal clerk and be reinstated in the unique force of inter-galactic crime fighters. The team of Agents K and J find themselves up against the beautiful Serleena (Boyle), who is plotting a dastardly deed against human kind. In order to foil Serleena’s plan, K and J pursue an investigation that brings them in contact with a host of outrageous characters, all with their own intergalactic quirks, including some that eat subway trains.

Outlook: Will Smith should put a patent on the July 4th weekend because, in the past, he has virtually owned it. This summer will probably be no different as audiences everywhere anxiously await the return of dynamic duo Agents K and J. Holding fast to the tradition of summer fun, “”Men in Black 2″” promises nothing deep besides a good belly-laugh. Five years after the first “”Men in Black,”” the ideas of aliens amongst us is still exciting. More interesting, though, is whether the chemistry between Jones and Smith still exists. Hopefully, Smith’s familiarity with the role of J won’t dampen his comedic antics. Audiences will find Lara Flynn Boyle an interesting choice as an evil doer, complete with “”bad mojo”” and big hair. But let’s face it, audiences are most excited to see Frank the talking pug.

July 26

Goldmember

Starring: Mike Myers, Beyonce Knowles, Seth Green and Michael Caine

Plot: “”Goldmember”” is Mike Myers’ final Austin Powers movie. In “”Goldmember,”” Dr. Evil and Mini-Me have escaped from prison and align with the formidable and flexible Goldmember (Myers) to hatch a plan for, you guessed it: world domination. This time, though, Dr. Evil plans to kidnap Austin Powers’ father, Nigel Powers (Caine). In order to save his father, Powers must “”re-connect”” with old girlfriend Foxxy Cleopatra (Knowles), who is a detective. The two sleuths then make their way around the world and through various decades to save the senior Powers and the world.

Outlook: This final segment to the series that has become internationally popular is on even par with the wackiness of the last two films. Mike Myers has decided to end the Austin Powers dynasty on a groovy note; no one should expect less from the international man of mystery. However, by taking on four parts for the film, Myers may be stretching himself thin. The laughs, though, will still come from other arenas. The cast features a variety of celebrities, among them Gwyneth Paltrow, Kevin Spacey and Britney Spears, playing themselves. Strangely enough, Katie Couric landed the part of a security guard. Audiences may be pleased to find out that Fat Bastard will return and Mini-Me is still played by Verne Troyer. There will also be a “”Mini-Austin”” incorporated into the plot, who Troyer will also play. Despite bringing old characters back, “”Goldmember”” will still spark enthusiasm with new personalities such as the sexy Fook Mi. The finale to Austin Powers’ adventures is sure to be golden fool’s gold.