Summer 2002 calendar

Wednesday, July 3

Tyler Huff

Vans Warped Tour

Six stages and over 30 bands will be featured on this day of eclectic music at the Coors Amphitheatre parking lot. The musical acts will include the ever-popular NOFX, Bad Religion, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Newfound Glory and many others. And for those of you that missed No Use For A Name at Sun God, they’ll be performing too. Gates open at 12:30 p.m. Tickets are $27.

Tyler Huff

Sunday, July 7

Cheap Trick at Humphrey’s

The legendary band from the mid 1970s makes a comeback! Cheap Trick, the artists of “”I Want You to Want Me,”” combine punk, metal and pop to produce their signature sound, which has had lasting effects on music. The show starts at 8 p.m. and tickets range from $38 to $83.

Thursday, July 18

The Darkened Tomb Tour

The Darkened Tomb Tour, featuring death metal bands Nile, Arch Enemy and Hate Eternal, will be making its way to Brick by Brick. Nile will be releasing their new album, “”In Their Darkened Shrine,”” this summer, while it will be the first time back in the States for Swedish band “”Arch Enemy”” since April. Within a few short years and five albums, Nile has proven itself to be a staying power in metal. All the bands are famous for their live performances, so be there at 7:30 p.m. when the show starts. Tickets are $12.

Friday, July 26

Baja Bash

Prepare for good times in Baja California with music, food and fun at Fernando’s Olive Farm. For more information check out the Web site at http://www.bajabash.com.

Friday, July 26

San Diego Pride Festivals

Pride for the LGBT community will explode on San Diego streets July 26 through July 28, showcasing a rally, a parade, a festival and a “”stride for pride.””

The San Diego Pride weekend kicks off July 26 with a bit of history in a rally at 7:30 p.m. to remember the Stonewall Inn incident.

The rally is to commemorate the 1969 Stonewall Uprising in New York’s Greenwich Village, in which gays fought harassment from New York police force. On June 11, 1969, police demanded that gays leave the Stonewall Inn. Many have speculated that when some resisted the police, the lesbian and gay liberation movement was born.

This year’s annual outdoor rally will be held at the Organ Pavilion in Balboa Park. It is a free event, and rally organizers expect 3,500 participants. Comedian Marga Gomez will facilitate the ceremonies.

On June 27 at noon, the 28th annual Pride Parade will wander through the streets with a contagious energy for the projected 110,000 attendees. The parade has consistently been one of San Diego’s most highly attended parades.

The parade will wind its way along University Avenue, between Normal Street and 6th Avenue to Ivy Lane. Early on July 27, the 21st annual Front Runners of San Diego will present the Run and Stride with Pride for those who can get out to run early. The free run begins at Balboa Park, on the southeast corner of 6th Avenue and Laurel Street.

A two-day festival is scheduled for July 27, from 1 p.m. to 10 p.m., and July 28, from noon to 9 p.m., at Marston Point in Balboa Park. The event will cost $12 for a one-day pass and $18 for a two-day pass.

The two-day Pride Festival has shown to be one of San Diego’s largest outdoor events. Pull on the cowboy boots for the Country Western Village with dance floor and saloon. For those who abstain from country music, Cyndi Lauper will perform. Other activities include a beer garden, the Children’s Garden,and the Senior Connection. One can also explore the Leather Expo, refresh at the Coffee Exchange and relax at the Youth Hangout Space and Rhythms of Nations dance tent, which will feature a diverse entertainment lineup.

The Dyke March 2002 is a nationwide force that will stop in San Diego July 28. The Dyke March mission is to “”create visibility for the Dyke community and to come together as a united front of sisters to demand our rights and educate one another,”” according to the vision statement.

It begins at 11 a.m. with an open-air rally at Trolley Barn Park in University Heights. The rally is to excite everyone for the official march at noon. It will feature entertainment, speakers, a beer garden and information tables that will be available before and after the march.

Once the sun has set, the festivities are far from over — Pride parties will light up the San Diego nightlife. On July 26, from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m., the Pride Ball at the San Diego Cruise Ship Terminal will feather DJs Barry Harris and Chris Cox for $30 per person.

On July 27, from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m., Circuit Daze will take place with DJ Lydia Prim and Manny Lehman at the San Diego Sports Arena. Tickets are $40.

On July 28, from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m., the extravaganza will feature DJs Wayne G and RA at the Broadway Event Center. Tickets will be $30. Later on, DJs Mark Tarbox and Monty Q will play for a party at San Diego Zoo. Tickets are $75.

For information on how to volunteer, schedules and ticket information, visit http://ww.sdpride.org.

— Jessica Kruskamp

Senior Staff Writer

Friday, Aug. 2

Marc Anthony

With the release of his eagerly-anticipated second English album, internationally-renowned singer Marc Anthony gives his fans a second dose of his soulful voice. The cigarette-toting king of salsa will perform at the San Diego Sports Arena at 7:30 p.m. Tickets range from $32.50 to $68.

Deep Purple, Scorpions and Dio

For a night of unforgettable nostalgia and great music, check out Coors Ampitheater for the Deep Purple, Scorpions and Dio tour. An edgy British band that dates back from the ’80s, Deep Purple occupies a special place in the hearts of metal fans worldwide. They are co-headlining with Scorpions, Germany’s most successful hard rock band, and they will be opened by long-time rock veteran Dio. The show starts at 6:30 p.m. and tickets range from $20 to $45.

Aug. 1 – Aug. 4

Comic Con

When it comes to pop culture, nothing celebrates the gamut of mediums and tastes like the San Diego Comic Convention. The annual event is held in the Convention Center downtown and attracts attendees from all over the country. This year’s events will be later then usual, going from Aug. 1 through Aug. 4. Other days, including the preview half day on July 31, are open to those paying for all four days and press only.

To ask: “”What is the Con?”” is a deceptively simple question. Sure, there are plenty of booths from almost every comic book company in America, but this event offers so much more. The massive Convention Center complex is utilized to provide many different events simultaneously. The entire lower floor will be the exhibit hall, which is a bazaar of sorts. It will attract attention to new comic series and upcoming films, along with the sales and trade of a wide variety of merchandise. If you want to buy anything from authentic medieval weapons, to collectable figures, to rare comics, the main hall holds a plethora of purchasable goods.

As with every year, there is a spectacular array of celebrity speakers who give talks about their work. Among those making an appearance this year are Spike of Spike & Mike’s animation festivals; Al Feldstien of “”MAD Magazine;”” Todd McFarlane, making his first convention appearance in four years; creator of the intensely popular “”Powerpuff Girls”” Craig McCracken; and renowned sci-fi literary figure Ray Bradbury.

One of the most interesting visual events is the Masquerade, in which people display their larger-than-life and unquestionably spectacular costume designs. Each participant is given a few minutes to dazzle the audience with their presentation and the best is awarded a trophy and cash prize. As one of the most widely-attended events at the Convention Center, seating is limited and a ticket is required.

Popular sci-fi is always strong in presence, receiving its fair share of merchandise and fan support. Without fail, people attend as their favorite character, with Klingons getting the most frequent appearance. People-watching is one of the most vibrant parts of the event. The most costumed people can be seen on Saturday — the same day as the Masquerade Ball — but every day yields its own particular flavor of costumes.

For anyone interested in many different aspects of pop culture, the annual event is the place to be — the unveilings, previews, freebies and freaks make for an unforgettable time. Just be prepared to pay. Preregistration ends June 12 and full membership until then costs $55. One-day prices are considerably less, with some restrictions. For specifics about dates, times, ticket purchasing and prices, see the Comic-Con Web site at http://www.comic-con.org.

— Rinaldo Dorman

Hiatus Editor

Aug. 26 – Sept. 2

Burning Man Festival

In search of the fascinating and the entertaining this summer? You needn’t go far. The Burning Man festival in Nevada’s Black Rock Desert (120 miles north of Reno) is one of the nation’s premiere pyrotechnic art festivals.

The festival is kicked off the weekend before the Labor Day and runs for about a week. Fantastic art displays are provided by attending individuals, while the centerpiece of the festival is the ever-growing Burning Man. Now standing nearly 40 feet tall, the Burning Man, which always burns the Saturday night before Labor Day, is an awesome spectacle in the desert night sky.

The event, however, is not your typical convention or fair. The fact that the event is completely commerce-free is evidence. The last few years, the four-square-mile festival has drawn party-goers, bikers and others who live on the more extreme ends of life’s grand spectrum. Raves also pop up all over what becomes a massive campsite.

Nudity is a recurrent theme at the festival, which for the most part requires one type of extreme look or another. While some will rap their bodies in police caution tape and drip different colored waxes over their hair and face, others will choose to display the more natural artwork of the unaltered human form.

But one thing is certain: Those at the festival do not take kindly to students who show up wearing their favorite jeans and a college sweatshirt. If you plan to make the trip, be sure to remember that people are not encouraged to attend the festival, they are encouraged to particiate.

Burning Man is a favorite for pyromaniacs, photojournalists, exhibitionists and those who appreciate off-beat visual arts that our very own campus occasionally incurs.

This year’s theme is “”The Floating World.”” It runs from Aug. 26 to Sept. 2. For more information, including a complete first-timers’ guide to the event, visit http://www.burningman.com.

— David Bynum

Staff Writer

Sunday, Sept. 1

Lenny Kravitz

Music gods of pop will descend upon San Diego when MTV and VH1 bring Lenny Kravitz to the Coors Amphitheater in Chula Vista. Alongside Pink and Abandoned Pools, Kravitz will deliver an awe-inspiring show that will leave you speechless. The show starts at 7 p.m. and tickets start at $30.

Sept. 6 – Sept. 8

Street Scene 2002, Gaslamp District

For the 19th year, Street Scene will return to the avenues of downtown San Diego. This festival features over 100 bands on a dozen stages over three days. The music there will include R & B, punk, metal, hip hop, ska, jazz, mambo — the list goes on. Times and prices are unavailable at this time, but check Ticketmaster frequently for information. http://www.gaslamp.org

Open all summer

Mission Bay Aquatic Center

The sun is dazzling, the sky is clear, and the sirens of the cool blue waters beckon you. It is once again that long-awaited time: summer, when the glistening and sun-kissed gods and goddesses of Southern California flock to the seaside to pass away their idle hedonistic hours in revelry.

And where can these pleasure-seekers go to fulfill their need for sun and adventure? The answer lies in a wooden building that lies snugly in Mission Bay Park and serves as the home for the largest instructional waterfront facility in the United States: the Mission Bay Aquatic Center.

The Mission Bay Aquatic Center was founded in 1971 as a joint cooperative venture by San Diego’s colleges and universities, including UCSD and SDSU. The facility is open to all members of the collegiate community, staff, students, alumni and their families. For those unfortunate souls who find that they are not affiliated with a local university or college but would still like to partake in the activities, facilities and courses offered by the aquatic center, they must register with the SDSU College of Extended Studies.

The impressive facility boasts a lounge with a fireplace, classrooms, shops, locker rooms with showers, dock, rowing center and numerous other amenities that probably mean little to those unfamiliar to the aquatic recreation scene.

Surrounding the wooden edifice are sunny, sandy beaches and green grassy lawns with picnic tables and barbeque areas. So if you aren’t a fishing or boating aficionado, you can still enjoy the region with a picnic or gathering. In addition to these play areas, there are also sport facilities that include tennis courts, basketball courts and swimming areas.

Being partly funded by the California Department of Boating and Waterways, the Mission Bay Aquatic Center offers classes on boating safety and boating laws. For those interested in pursuing a career in commercial boating (e.g. carrying passengers), a U.S. Coast Guard captain’s licensing course is also offered, designed by the Maritime Institute, Inc.

For those novices wishing to experiment with water sports and recreation, the aquatic center offers numerous classes from surfing to kayaking; and even fishing, all at reasonable prices that can range from $25 to $90 for UCSD students. What can be more tantalizing than being taught the art of surfing by a fetching young instructor?

Already a pro? Then fear not; rentals are offered at discount prices for students. They are available for one day (8 a.m. until 6 p.m.) or up to a week. Equipment available for walk-in rental includes surfboards (soft and fiberglass), wetsuits, body boards, kayaks, safety devices, wakeboards and water skis. For those who are more experienced, after passing an orientation or taking a class on safety and use procedures on the equipement, more specialized equipment is available for rent, including: sabots, lasers, kayaks, windsurfers and rowing wherries.

Another facet of the aquatic center that might strike many as remarkable is that of the accessible water sports. At the Mission Bay Aquatic Center, special classes in water skiing and freedom sailing have been adapted for people with disabilities so that anyone can participate in and enjoy water sports. Outside of these two classes, which were formed specifically for the disabled, anyone with disabilities is encouraged to register for any classes offered.

So whether you are looking to learn how to conquer the waves or just hang out and check out the hotties in their natural habitat, Mission Bay Park offers all the facilities you could possibly imagine to tickle your fancy and keep you busy. To register for classes or for use of the facilities, stop by the Mission Bay Aquatic Center at 1001 Santa Clara Place, or call (858) 488-1036. For more information on classes, prices or to check out cool photos and interviews with instructors, check out the Web site at http://www.mbac.nu.

All the people who complain that there is nothing to do in San Diego now have endless possibilities in one location. And don’t worry if you don’t have a car — you can take the bus for free (Route 34) with a valid bus sticker. So whether broke or rideless, anyone can enjoy the beauties of Mission Bay.

— Anne Cong-huyen

Senior Staff Writer