Men's tennis goes undefeated in tourney

The UCSD men’s tennis team secured two wins this weekend at the Cal Poly Pomona tournament before the weather conditions brought play to a halt on Sunday.

The team’s first opponent, California State University Los Angeles, proved to be no match at all with the Tritons winning all nine matches.

The Tritons started off triumphantly in the doubles series with the No. 1 team of Sameer Chopra and Brian Swatt dominating their opponents in an 8-0 victory.

Jeff Wilson and Everett Schroeter also had a commanding 8-2 win, with both players competing well as a team.

The Mike Meyer-Dan Albrecht combination had the closest doubles match, but still came out on top with an 8-5 victory.

The top five singles players breezed through their matches, with the only close match being Emil Novak’s three-set match, which he won 6-2, 4-6, 6-3.

The Tritons’ second victim, Azusa Pacific University, was a more suitable competitor and actually gave the Tritons a scare in some of the singles matches.

Once again, the Tritons started the match off strong by sweeping all three doubles matches. Although Azusa Pacific played tough, the Tritons responded by playing well and stepping up to the pressure.

Singles losses went to Meyer and Swatt. Meyer, playing the No. 1 spot, had a tough opponent and loss, falling 6-0, 6-1 to Benny Lin, who previously was ranked 240th in the world.

Swatt, playing No. 3 singles, struggled in the first set, losing a tiebreaker 7-6. Simon Bieri of Azusa picked up the pace in the second set, winning 6-0 and eliminating any chance for Swatt to come back.

Senior Everett Schroeter commented on the Tritons’ play this weekend.

“”I thought we played well as a team and fought really hard. We had some great come-from-behind matches that were key,”” he said.

The impressive come-from-behind, three-set victories were claimed by Chopra with 1-6, 7-6, 6-3, and Wilson with 7-6, 3-6, 6-3. Both players had tough opponents, but they pulled through and gathered wins for the team.

At the No. 5 position, Blake Wilson-Hayden struggled in the first set, but came out with a commanding 7-5, 6-1 victory over Adam Davidson.

Novak, the No. 6 singles player, also triumphed without much trouble in his 6-4, 6-1 win.

Coach Eric Steidlmayer stressed that his team played hard, but that there is room for improvement.

“”We definitely play hard, and for that I am happy.”” He said. “”I think that there is a great deal of fight in our guys. However, I also think that we can prepare ourselves a bit better by having more concentrated practices, and I hope we will do that.””

The Tritons are off for only a few days but have a big conference weekend coming up with matches against Western New Mexico University, Cal State Los Angeles and Sonoma State. The undefeated Tritons take on Western New Mexico at the North Campus Tennis Courts this Friday at 9 a.m.