Hiatus calendar

Thursday 2/07/02

Willie Nelson is a-comin’ to El Cajon. This well-traveled country-folk singer will be at the East County Performing Arts Center. The show starts at 7:30 p.m. and tickets start at $56.

Friday 2/08/02

Heartbreaks 2, sponsored by the DJs and Vinylphiles Club, will be at Porter’s Pub. The event is free to UCSD students and $5 for nonstudents. This two-room dance party will feature progressive trance, hard house, breaks, drum ‘n’ bass and techno. The event starts at 7 p.m. and pushes on until 1 a.m. Go to http://djclub.ucsd.edu for more information.

Saturday 2/09/02

Nelly Furtado will bring her fresh, antipop queen style to the Spreckels Theatre. The show starts at 8 p.m. and tickets are $23.

Live house? The New Deal is a Toronto-based trio that kicks down four-on-the-floor beats with live instruments. Their latest release plays like a cleanly produced album, but it is a combination of live drums, bass guitar and keyboards. The sound is electronica in the vein of improvisational jazz. They will perform at Winston’s Beach Club and tickets are $15. The show starts at 8 p.m.

Sunday 2/10/02

Dizzy’s will host a benefit concert for Latin musician and percussionist Skip Howlett, who is fighting brain cancer. The performance will feature Kokopelli, Storm, Patrick Burke & The Latin All Stars, Gilbert Castellanos and many others. The show is from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. and a donation is required. Call (858) 270-7467 for more information.

Monday 2/11/02

4th Avenue Jones will be at The Casbah to drop smooth beats and Fugees-style rhymes. The San Diego-based hip-hop, down-tempo group Square Circle will also play. The show starts at 8 p.m. and tickets are $6.

Two decades of heavy metal come to 4th & B in the form of Slayer. They are touring behind their 2001 release, “”God Hates Us All.”” Tickets start at $25 and the show starts at 8 p.m.

Tuesday 2/12/02

Oar of a Revolution (better known as O.A.R.) will be at ‘Canes Bar & Grill. Their roots-rock sound is blended with reggae. Some consider the O.A.R. sound to be similar to Dave Matthews Band. In fact, O.A.R.’s third album, “”Risen,”” was produced by John Alagia, who has also produced for Dave Matthews and Ben Folds Five. The show starts at 8 p.m. and tickets start at $13. The event is for ages 16 and up.

Wednesday 2/13/02

“”The Vagina Monologues”” is playing at the Price Center Theater. The play starts at 6 p.m. with a second showing at 9 p.m. Tickets are $7.

Look to the hiatus calendar for events in and around UCSD.

All tickets can be purchased through Ticketmaster by calling (619) 220-8497 or by going to http://www.ticketmaster.com unless otherwise noted.

$2515
    $5000