Women's tennis sweeps CSUSB again

The UCSD women’s tennis team began its 2002 season Saturday afternoon, sweeping the Coyotes of Cal State San Bernardino 9-0.

The Tritons blew past the Coyotes last season as well. However, despite what the score indicates, their opponent was much improved.

“”They were a lot better this year,”” sophomore Kristina Jansen said. “”They didn’t have as many holes in their team.””

In their first competitive match of the season, the Tritons used outstanding play from last season’s all-California Collegiate Athletic Association First Team member Julie Westerman and Second Team player Lyndsey Tadlock to propel them to the easy victory.

Westerman, playing as the No. 6 single, didn’t lose a single game, defeating San Bernardino’s Timetra Hampton 6-0, 6-0. Tadlock likewise beat Coral Conley without losing a game in the matchup of No. 3 singles players.

Tadlock and Westerman later combined to form UCSD’s No. 1 doubles team, which defeated the Coyotes team of Conley and Cassie Sumrow 8-4.

“”We were a little shaky in this match,”” Jansen said. “”We all were definitely a bit nervous.””

But nerves were nowhere to be found in the final outcome. The closest doubles match of the afternoon occurred when UCSD’s Ashley O’Neil and Mary Hung defeated Heather Lehman and Jennifer Newman 8-6 in No. 2 doubles. The closest singles match was Jansen’s 6-3, 6-2 victory over Lisa Duncan in the no. 5 matchup.

In total, the Tritons lost only 28 games in nine matches, never dropping a set.

This meet signaled the first competitive action for most of the Triton players.

“”Jasmin [Dao] told me before the match she hadn’t played a competitive match since July,”” Jansen said. “”And then I thought about it and realized I haven’t played competitively since Nationals last May. There is a big difference between practices and matches. It was great to finally play again.””

UCSD won’t get another break for the next six months. The team starts the season with eight matches in four weeks, as well as 19 dual meets and four tournaments in the entire 2002 season. The Tritons play their first home match against Hope International University on Wednesday at UCSD’s North Campus courts at 2:30 p.m.