2001: A review of last year's highs and lows

1.5.01

David Pilz

Pangea Parking Structure opens

New option for commuters creates room for everyone

An additional 380 “”S”” parking spaces became available Jan. 5, 2001 when the new Pangea Parking Structure in Thurgood Marshall College opened.

Lyon Liew

The structure, which has been in construction since August 1999, also contains 309 “”B”” spots, 161 “”A”” spots, 104 metered visitor spots and 18 handicapped spots.

Students believe that the new structure will make parking everywhere on campus much easier.

“”Hopefully it will alleviate the parking problems in Muir,”” Muir sophomore Adam Roston said. “”Parking there has become virtually impossible past 8 a.m.””

— By Matt Schrader

1.8.01

UCSD to receive science institute

University to partner with UC Irvine and local businesses

Gov. Gray Davis announced at a press conference Dec. 7, 2000 that UCSD, in partnership with UC Irvine, will receive an Institute for Telecommunications and Information Technology, as one of three California Institutes of Science and Information.

“”Cal-(IT2) will seek to merge the twin marvels of the Internet and wireless communications to forge the new information age,”” said UCSD Chancellor Robert C. Dynes.

Researchers and students working with the institute and its partner UCI will study modes of transformation from the use of slower modems to faster broadband Internet connections as the Internet becomes more a part of the physical world.

— By Lauren I. Coartney

1.11.01

Flood wreaks havoc at Tioga Hall

Muir students experience the effects of a faulty drainpipe

After days of pounding rain from last week’s winter storms, UCSD is finally dry, with the exception of Tioga Hall.

A small flood occurred Jan. 11, 2001 on the ground floor of John Muir College’s Tioga Hall. Water quickly spread throughout the south side of the building in the early hours of the morning, prompting 17 residents to seek higher ground.

Susan Rindlaub, a Muir freshman, awoke just after 8 a.m. to find an inch-and-a-half of water on the floor of her room.

“”I jumped out of bed in my socks and [the water] splashed up all around me,”” Rindlaub said. “”My stuff was floating in my room.””

The source of the water was a leaky drainpipe that was supposed to divert rain from the roof of the 11-story residence hall to the ground floor. However, a cap that was supposed to have sealed the pipe came loose, causing gallons of rainwater to pour into the common room between two adjoining suites.

— By Kyle R. Biebesheimer

1.19.01

Club Ritmo jam-packed at opening

A.S. Programming opens new UCSD night club with performances by Tone Loc, Candyman, DVC

Jan. 19, 2001 marked the opening of UCSD’s new live entertainment venue, “”Club Ritmo,”” which featured headliner Tone Loc with special guest Candyman.

The premiere, which was sponsored by the A.S. Council, took place from 8:30 p.m. to midnight at the Stage at Porter’s Pub.

Tone Loc took the stage at about 10:30 p.m. to perform perennial favorites and his two most famous songs, “”Wild Thing”” and “”Funky Cold Medina.””

A.S. Production Manager Steve Evans reported that attendance averaged 500 people throughout the night. Toward the time of Tone Loc’s performance, the number increased as Porter’s Pub neared its maximum capacity, with almost 700 people in attendance.

— By Alex J. Lee

1.20.01

A.S. Council, athletic dept. unveil new mascot

Revamped Triton debuted at UCSD men’s basketball game

After years of student anticipation of the arrival of an identifiable spirit leader, the A.S. Council and the athletic department finally revealed the new Triton mascot on Jan. 20, 2001 at halftime of the UCSD men’s basketball game against California State University Dominguez Hills.

Assistant Athletic Director Ken Grosse said the new costume stands about 6’5″” with an oversized head, a toga-like outfit, flowing hair, a beard and long muscular legs.

“”People will really be impressed,”” said A.S. President Doc Khaleghi. “”I am proud to be at a school that has this mascot.””

The Triton has always been the school’s nickname, although no mascot existed until recently.

— By Matt Schrader

1.25.01

A.S. Council to fund Anti-Zionism Week

Controversial event raises questions about money

Amid objections from the Union of Jewish Students, the A.S. Council is funding the Muslim Student Association’s Anti-Zionism Week, to be held Jan. 29 to Feb. 2, 2001.

At last week’s A.S. Council meeting, Vice President Finance Matt Powell suggested funding the event from a fund created in 1994 specifically for controversial issues.

The council voted against Powell’s motion, and instead decided to fund the event through the Student Organizations Unallocated fund, the fund through which most student organizations receive money.

Jonathan Rotter, a recent UCSD graduate, said he feels that many council members do not see how offensive the term “”Anti-Zionism Week”” is to Jewish students.

“”Certainly they made the claim that they’re required by law to fund things in a content-independent manner,”” he said. “”But it’s hard for me to imagine that if someone had proposed an anti-Asian week that they would have gotten funding. It’s my feeling that they don’t understand that, to us, Anti-Zionism week is equal to Anti-Semitism week.””

Muslema Purmul, treasurer of the MSA, agreed with the council vote.

Purmul said she feels that Anti-Zionism Week is being misunderstood by many.

“”I think that the reaction that has been voiced is too harsh considering what Anti-Zionism Week is all about,”” she said. “”I feel we’re being judged before we’ve had a chance to say anything.””

— By Vincent Gragnani

2.5.01

Change in code pushes lawyers out of hearings

Students can no longer have attorneys at campus hearings

Revisions to the Student Code of Conduct, eliminating a student’s right to attorney representation during hearings of misconduct, took effect fall quarter 2000.

The right to have attorney representation at hearings has been a student right at UCSD since 1978, when the first draft of the Student Code of Conduct was created.

Nick Aguilar, the director of student policies and judicial affairs, said that students have not lost a right because they never had a constitutional right to representation by attorneys.

“”There is no constitutional right to be represented by an attorney in administrative hearings,”” Aguilar said.

— By Parisa Baharian

2.9.01

UCSD freshman dies in fall at Blacks Beach

Active Revelle student falls 200 feet from cliffs to the beach below

Revelle freshman Gilbert F.D. Nunez Jr. fell to his death from the cliffs above Blacks Beach on Feb. 9, 2001 at about 5 p.m. He was 18.

Nunez and some of his friends had gone to the cliffs to study just after 4 p.m. The victim strayed from the group to climb on a rock at the edge of the cliff when he lost his balance and fell.

“”He was an avid climber — he was practically a monkey,”” recalls Revelle freshman Becky Bowen, a friend of Nunez. “”He was climbing and slipped and fell to his death.””

— By Kyle R. Biebesheimer

3.1.01

Missing student dies in car crash

Students turned out for vigil in Joshua Eber’s honor

A crowd gathered at the Muir quad at 9 p.m. the evening of March 1, 2001 to remember the passing of Muir senior Joshua Eber.

Eber had been missing since Feb. 26, 2001. The Thursday night gathering was intended to be a candlelight vigil for the missing student.

However, the event turned into a memorial service.

Eber was killed in a car accident near Las Pulgas Road, off Interstate 5 at Camp Pendleton. He was 22.

— By Steve Lehtonen

4.5.01

A pair of swimmers makes a big splash

Watanabe and Lopez set five school records, two NCAA records at Nationals.

Going into the NCAA Division II Swimming and Diving Championships on March 14 to March 17 in Canton, Ohio, neither sophomore Jennifer Watanabe nor junior Sandra Lopez had much trepidation about going head-to-head against the other top Division II swimmers from around the nation, and neither had many expectations for reaching the championships.

But on the first day of competition, Watanabe set a school record in the 200-yard individual medley with a time of 2:04.41.

On day two, Watanabe came back to win the 400-yard individual medley with a time of 4:22.68, which is also a school record.

Day three belonged to Lopez, as she set both a Division II and a school record en route to winning the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:03.20.

On the final day of competition, Lopez set another NCAA record and school record in the 200-yard breaststroke with a time of 2:16.74. Watanabe captured her third title of the competition in the 200-yard backstroke event with a time of 2:00.61, which is yet another school record.

— By Isaac Pearlman

4.13.01

A.S. presidency goes to Dodge in Unity landslide

Members of One slate, independents fail to secure executive positions

The Unity slate accomplished its goal April 13, 2001 as its candidates swept the A.S. Council election by winning all 22 races that they ran in.

“”Honestly, I wasn’t expecting all 22 of our slate members to all win,”” said A.S. President-elect Jeff Dodge. “”That is kind of unheard of, but I think it just shows that we are a good group of people and that we are going to do good things for the A.S.””

The Unity slate, led by Dodge, Vice President Internal-elect Jenn Brown and Vice President Finance-elect Sam Shooshtary, campaigned for almost two months. The members said the work they put into their campaign was their ultimate key to victory.

— By Matt Schrader

4.27.01

Campus Life Fee rejected with record turnout

Record 33 percent of students vote, defeating fee increase by 3-2 margin

Despite receiving the highest voter turnout in UCSD’s history, the Campus Life Fee Referendum failed to pass by over 750 votes, thereby eliminating the possibility of an annual student fee increase of about $210.

The A.S. Election Committee released the results April 27, 2001 showing that 2,739 students voted in favor of the fee increase and that 3,492 voted against it.

Of the school’s 18,600 students, 6,231 undergraduate, graduate and medical students voted last week contributing to a 33 percent voter turnout — the highest in UCSD history.

“”There were too many issues being tacked onto it,”” said A.S. Services and Enterprises Commissioner-elect Colin Parent. “”It ended up making the whole thing controversial.””

— By Matt Schrader

5.17.01

Regents rescind SP-1 and SP-2

RE-28 passed unanimously after 11th-hour revision

In response to controversy surrounding dropping rates of minority admissions to the University of California, the UC Board of Regents unanimously voted to rescind SP-1 and SP-2, the policies that banned race-based admission and hiring in the university.

The resolution, named RE-28, rescinds policies that critics say discourage minorities from applying to schools in the UC system.

Regent Judith Hopkinson, the resolution’s author, stated that it will not resemble affirmative action, which is banned by the California Constitution as a result of the 1996 passage of Proposition 209.

— By Lauren I. Coartney

5.31.01

Sixth College curriculum approved

Academic Senate finalizes new college’s general education

The Academic Senate voted unanimously to approve the Committee on Education Policy’s recommendation for the Sixth College Detailed Academic Plan in its final meeting of the year.

The Sixth College Steering Committee, which includes undergraduate student representatives, submitted the plan. Gabriele Wienhausen, provost of Sixth College, presented the plan at the meeting.

Sixth College’s theme, “”Culture, Art and Technology,”” is also the name of the required general education core sequence designed to embrace the exploration of interactions among the three. The C.A.T. sequence is highly interdisciplinary and integrates learning in arts and humanities, social sciences, and science and engineering.

— By Rebecca Wood

9.14.01

Students charged for mandatory insurance

Regents require health insurance for undergrads

Starting fall quarter 2001, the UC Board of Regents is requiring all UC undergraduates to have health insurance. The mandate was made Sept. 14, 2000 after about five years of debate, said UC Regents spokeswoman Mary Spletter.

The measure was recommended by UC President Richard Atkinson and was passed “”almost unanimously,”” Spletter said.

While the university has long required health insurance for its graduate and international students, Spletter explained that “”changes in the health care situation have made it more critical for all students to have health insurance.””

— By Claire J. Vannette

9.18.01

UCSD students stranded after terror attacks

FAA shutdown leaves many without a way back to school

Many UCSD students are having trouble getting to campus in time for the new academic year because of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on the East Coast.

Commercial flight schedules are still unpredictable a week after the Federal Aviation Administration’s decision to ground all flights in response to the attacks.

Campus departments are prepared for students who will be returning late due to increased air travel security precautions and repeated airport shutdowns.

“”We’re not going to take any adverse actions based on individuals not being here on time,”” said Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Joseph Watson. “”I think everybody wants to be understanding and accommodating. This is a time of great emotional stress and we’re working together as a community and a campus to make sure everybody comes through this positively.””

— By Lauren I. Coartney

10.11.01

‘The Koala’ accused of printing hate speech

UCSD humor newspaper faces allegations of racism

Some students and groups have condemned The Koala for running what they call racist mock advertisements and personal ads in its first issue of the school year.

Within the “”Forum on the Greek System”” section of the Sept. 24, 2001 issue, an announcement informed readers of a fictitious fraternity named Chi Kappa Alpha, nicknamed “”The Chikes.””

The issue also included two personal ads containing anti-Asian messages. One read, “”To all the Asians: Nobody likes you, good day,”” while another suggested that an option should be added to housing forms to exclude Asians.

— By Evan McLaughlin

10.17.01

UCSD to get a new graduate school

Management school to open its doors in fall 2003

Ushering in a new era for both UCSD and the San Diego regional economy, the UC Regents unanimously approved plans for a graduate management school Oct. 17, 2001 at their meeting in San Francisco.

Current plans have the management school enrolling full-time students for the Master of Business Administration degree by fall 2003.

According to a “”Business Week”” survey, San Diego is the only major metropolitan area in the country without a management school in the top 50 rankings.

— By Charlie Tran

10.24.01

Women’s soccer loses at home

Tritons end 22-game winning streak with first home loss since 1998

In its first home loss since 1998, the UCSD women’s soccer team lost 1-0 to Cal Poly Pomona in overtime at Triton Soccer Stadium on Oct. 24, 2001.

After a scoreless game during regulation, Bronco freshman forward Lisa Araujo scored just 59 seconds into the sudden-death overtime to lead 11th-ranked Cal Poly to victory.

With this win, the Broncos snapped a Triton 22-game home winning streak. Cal Poly also snapped the Tritons’ nine-game winning streak.

This contest spotlighted two of the top National Collegiate Athletic Association Division II women’s soccer teams. The Broncos were the Division II national runners-up in 1999 and the Tritons won the Division II National Championship in 2000.

— By Courtney Field

11.23.01

Tritons stun crosstown rival SDSU

Women’s basketball beats Division I Aztecs in first meeting since 1978

Inside a practically empty Cox Arena at San Diego State University on Friday night, the UCSD women’s basketball team began its season against the Division I Aztecs in the two teams’ first meeting since a 33-72 Triton loss Nov. 28, 1978.

However, this year’s Tritons refused to let history repeat itself when they stunned SDSU 63-59. The Aztecs had previously lost only one game to another San Diego university.

Triton head coach Judy Malone gave credit for the victory to the team’s offense.

“”We ran our offense effectively — that was the difference,”” she said.

But Triton guard Ali Ginn gave credit to a different source.

“”I’d like to thank the San Diego Union-Tribune,”” she said. “”They wrote an article saying we would be an easy victory for SDSU, which we posted in our locker room. It was a good motivating factor for us.””

— By Isaac Pearlman

11.26.01

UCSD admissions undergo revision

School adopts ‘comprehensive review’ policy

UCSD has revised its undergraduate admissions policy to comply with the UC Board of Regents’ newly adopted standards of comprehensive review.

UCSD’s new process, which will first be implemented in fall 2002, will involve three “”reviews,”” or phases.

The initial review will consider a mix of academic criteria. Applicants’ grade point averages will be examined, along with test scores and the number of UC-required A-G courses taken beyond the minimum required.

UCSD admissions personnel will also take into account other factors in the first review, including “”eligibility in the local context,”” low family income, first-generation college attendance and “”educational environment”” — which is identified as attending schools in the state’s fourth or fifth performance quintiles.

— By Margaret O’Neill