Swim team hosts first meet of season

The UCSD swimming teams hosted the Triton Invitational at Canyonview Pool on Oct. 27, and both Triton teams swam to second-place finishes.

Sam Scoufos

Competing against UC Irvine, North Coast Aquatics and Cal State Northridge, the men’s team earned 564 points, while the women’s team earned 492. UC Irvine finished first in the men’s and women’s competitions.

UCSD’s relay teams scored well. The women’s 200-yard freestyle relay team, which included Carolyn Kwok, Evelyn Kwok, Samantha Wong and Carly Ross, earned a first-place finish. The women’s 400-yard medley relay team also came in first and was made up of Kersten Wehde, Rachel Arthur and the Kwok sisters.

“”I was really happy with how [the women’s 200-yard freestyle relay team] swam,”” said head coach Scott McGihon. “”It was a really good time for them at this point of the year.””

Leo Der Stepanians

The men’s relay teams could not secure a first-place victory, but both the 400- and 200-yard medley teams placed second and fourth, respectively, to earn points for the Tritons.

“”The men’s 400-yard medley relay team was a nice surprise,”” McGihon said.

Individually for the men, sophomore Luke Seed posted a time of 58.53 to secure first place in the 100-yard breaststroke. Seed also came in second in the 100-yard butterfly event.

On the women’s side, junior Sandra Lopez won the 200-yard breaststroke event in 2:24 for the Tritons. Freshman Frances Tran secured the other first-place victory for the women’s team in the 200-yard butterfly, finishing the event in 2:10.

$2515
    $5000