Men's soccer eliminated from playoffs

The UCSD men’s soccer team finished its disappointing 2001 season with a 5-2 loss to Grand Canyon University on Oct. 27 at Triton Soccer Stadium.

Anna MacMurdo

UCSD ended the season 6-7-1, the first sub-.500 season for coach Derek Armstrong in his 20 years at UCSD. The Tritons finished with 19 points, nine points away from a California Collegiate Athletic Association Championship berth.

Preseason polls placed UCSD at the front of the South Division, but this game showed why Grand Canyon University ran away with the title.

The Antelopes struck first when Luka Muslin finished a Grand Canyon counterattack in the 22nd minute. Pat Adams scored Grand Canyon’s second goal less than two minutes later after a scramble in front of the goal.

UCSD clawed back into the game when sophomore midfielder Sean Summers beat one defender and split two more before poking the ball under Antelope keeper Greg Spaltro early in the second half. Summer’s amazing goal put the Tritons back into the game and gave the squad new life.

However, less than 5 minutes later, UCSD was caught by another Antelope counterattack when Sergio Iniguez chipped the ball over the Triton defense to Eric Bass, who then scored to put GCU up 3-1. Triton defenders contended that Grand Canyon was offside at the time.

CCAA leading scorer Luiz Arujo and Djordje Grkovic scored the last two goals for the Antelopes. Triton forward Kris Chiles added the second for UCSD, but it was too little, too late for the Tritons.

UCSD goalie Jeremy Cookson saved five shots on the day against the GCU offense, which outshot the Tritons 18-14.

This game marked the final appearance of seniors Jamie Lawrence and Ryan Tondee at Triton Soccer Stadium.

Grand Canyon University will head back to Triton Soccer Stadium Nov. 1 in order to participate in the CCAA Championships.

$2515
    $5000