Men's soccer keeps on rolling in league play

Believe it or not, the UCSD men’s soccer team is one of the hottest teams in the nation right now.

The Tritons shut out California State University Stanislaus 3-0 Sunday afternoon at Warrior Soccer Field.

The victory was UCSD’s fourth in its last five games after starting the season a disappointing 1-7. The turnaround began after a tough 1-0 loss to league powerhouse Cal State Dominguez Hills that gave the Tritons confidence. Since then, the team’s only loss was the 4-0 defeat at the hands of league rival Cal State Bakersfield.

With the victory, the Tritons again come to within one game of .500 in California Collegiate Athletic Association play at 5-6. The team is 5-8 overall. The loss drops the Warriors to 2-7 in the California Collegiate Athletic Association and 3-11 overall.

UCSD dominated the game offensively, outshooting CSUS 21-7. It also bested the Warriors in shots on goal at 11-4.

The Tritons struck first just minutes before the end of the first half on a goal from Sean Summers. Summers sent a shot over diving goalkeeper Brian King to give UCSD the lead heading into the locker room.

Summers added his second goal of the game at the 67:19 mark when Ali Managhebi tipped the ball to him for the goal.

Marc Salomon capped the scoring with a goal at the 84:50 mark off an assist from Russel.

Triton goalkeepers Jeremy Cookson and Ryan Weirich combined for the shutout. Cookson had three saves while Weirich had one.

King was spectacular in goal for CSUS, making eight saves in the losing effort.

UCSD will be off this weekend before returning to action Oct. 20 for a home match against Cal State San Bernardino. The game is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m.

$2515
    $5000