Women score another convincing win

The UCSD women’s soccer team chalked up yet another conference victory at Triton Soccer Stadium on Sept. 30 against Chico State, shutting out the Pioneers 5-0.

Lyon Liew

This latest victory pulls the Tritons’ California Collegiate Athletic Association record up to an impressive 7-1. They are 9-1 overall.

UCSD struck early, scoring just 10 minutes into the game when a shot from senior Erika Anderson deflected off the foot of Chico State goalie Marina Reyes and into the goal. It was an early spot of luck for the Tritons.

The team’s second goal had nothing to do with luck, however, when sophomore Kristin Jones nailed a header off a corner kick from sophomore Christine Wensel at the 25:56 mark, giving the Tritons a 2-0 lead.

Lyon Liew

UCSD continued to dominate in the second half when sophomore Megan Mendoza took advantage of a deflected shot from Jones and scored just two minutes into the second half.

Continuing the onslaught, the Tritons added another goal, this time from senior Elizabeth Hughes. Her unassisted goal came in the 53rd minute.

Not to be outdone, Jones rounded out the scoring four minutes later with another unassisted goal.

Triton goalies Kami Poma and Jamie Lautenschleger combined their efforts to earn the shutout. To credit the UCSD defense, neither goalie had to make a single save.

Yet more praise for the Triton defenders is due since the Pioneers, who are 2-2-2 CCAA and 5-3-2 overall, were only able to make eight shots to the Tritons’ 14.

Sunday’s victory followed a disappointing “”no contest”” home match against UC Davis on Sept. 28.

After a scoreless first half, the game was suspended at the 57:04 mark due to fog. It will not be counted because the required 70 minutes of play were not attained. The game will be rescheduled for a later date. As yet, that date is yet to be determined.

The Tritons’ next chance at victory will be against California State University Bakersfield on Oct. 5 at 5 p.m. Bakersfield.

After another away match against Cal State Stanislaus, the team will return to UCSD on Oct. 13 to host Western Washington in nonconference play.

This match will be part of the UCSD Homecoming 2001 festivities. The game will start at 12:30 p.m.

$2515
    $5000