THE SUMMER CALENDAR

* The 15th commission for the Stuart Collection Public Opening, 6-8pm @ Geisel Library. A great work by renowned artist John Baldessari. Entitled READ/WRITE/THINK/DREAM. it will transform the Geisel Library entrance. This promises to be a popular and amazing installation.

Tuesday, July 24

* 9th Annual Blood Drive at the Aquarium, 9am-2pm @ the Birch Aquarium. The San Diego Blood Bank and Birch Aquarium at Scripps have teamed up for our annual summer blood drive. Donation of blood saves lives and every pint counts! Summer is a critical time for maintaining blood supplies at the Blood Bank. Come to the Birch Aquarium on July 24 for this worthy cause. Two blood mobiles will be present in the aquarium’s traffic circle. Parking is $3.00. Please eat before donating and bring picture ID and donor ID card if you have one. If you have donated blood within 56 days of July 24, you are not eligible to donate at the Birch Aquarium. San Diego Blood Bank: 800-479-3902

Saturday, July 28

* The Lesbian and Gay Pride Parade, noon @ University Avenue in Hillcrest. The UCSD LBGT community is sponsoring an entry in the 2001 San Diego lesbian and Gay Pride Parade. You can catch them and the Schaefer ambulance as they make their way towards the festival in Balboa Park. The two booths hosted by UCSD will be “”The Xone,”” for queer and questioning youth, and Professional Recruitment and Community Outreach.

* Civic Tour.Com featuring Everclear, 7pm @ Price Center Ballrooms A & B. An evening with the band “”Everclear””. Also featuring the bands “”American Hi-Fi”” and “”Mayfield Four””. Tickets are on sale now at all Ticketmaster outlets and the UCSD Price Center Box Office.

Sunday, July 29

* Snorkel at La Jolla Cove, 8-10am @ La Jolla Cove. Join us as we snorkel world-renowned La Jolla Cove–part of the San Diego-La Jolla Underwater Park & Ecological Reserve. Abundant marine life including garibaldi, lobsters, and octopuses are the main attraction in this calm, picturesque area. Ages 10-adult, members $20, non-members $25.

Friday, August 3

* Full-moon Walks on Scripps Pier, 7:30-9:30pm @ Scripps Pier. We have a very special night in store for you! Though this La Jolla landmark is usually closed to the public, we will walk the length of Scripps Pier under the light of the full moon. Join us as we discuss the history of the pier and how it is used by researchers and aquarists. We’ll take water samples, collect plankton, observe sea conditions, and explore the nocturnal habits of marine life. Ages 9-adult (ages 9-13 with paying adult). Members $13/adult, $10/child; non members $17/adult, $14/child

Saturday, August 11

* Snorkel with the Sharks, 8-10am @ La Jolla Shores. Dare to swim with schooling leopard sharks, smoothhound sharks, and guitarfish (all harmless)! Keep your eyes peeled for rays, flatfishes, and sand-dwelling invertebrates while enjoying the mild surf and gently sloping beach of La Jolla Shores and adjacent rocky reef. Ages 10-adult (ages 10-13 with paying adult). Members $20, non members $25

* Summer Bridge Student Dance, 8pm-12am @ Cross Cultural Center Gallery. No admission charge for this event.

Sunday, August 26

* Eighth Annual UCSD Cancer Center Luau & Longboard Invitational brings together surfing legends from around the world, local celebrities and corporate executives to benefit cancer treatment and research. It features a friendly surfing competition between sponsored teams and a private, Polynesian-themed party, featuring food, entertainment, a silent auction of surf memorabilia and a brief ceremony to honor the winner of the Rell Sunn–Queen of Mahaka Award. For more information about sponsorship opportunities, team entries, tickets and event activities, call the UCSD Cancer Center at (858) 822-0023, or visit the Luau’s Web site at www.luau.ucsd.edu.

ACADEMICS

Tuesday, July 17

* UCSD Economics Roundtable Series, 7:30 a.m. @ the UCSD Faculty Club. Laurence H. Meyer, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, will discuss “”Monetary Policy Enters the 21st Century.”” Dr. Meyer is widely recognized as one of the nation’s leading economic forecasters. He has been honored by “”Business Week”” as top forecaster of the year and by the prestigious Annual Forecast Award for most accurate forecaster on the panel for the Blue Chip Economic indicators. Admission: General, $50.00; For information, call (858) 822-0510.

Wednesday, July 19

* “”Living With Macular Degeneration: New Views and Challenges,”” 6pm @ Center for Molecular Genetics, School of Medicine. Stein Institute for Research on Aging Lecture Series. Barbara Brody, Department of Ophthalmology, will speak. For more information call 534-6299.

Friday, July 27

* UCSD Economic Roundtable Series, 7:30am @ the Ida and Cecil Green Faculty Club. Lester Thurow, professor of management and economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Thurow will discuss economic change in the emerging global economy. Admission is $50 and includes a continental breakfast and parking. For more information e-mail [email protected] or call 822.0510.

Thursday, August 2

* ACING YOUR JOB INTERVIEW, 12-1pm @ Career Services Center. Nervous about interviewing? You don’t have to be! Attend this workshop to learn strategies for success!

Wednesday, August 8

* JOB SEARCH STRATEGIES FOR ALUMNI, 5:30-7pm @ Career Services Center. Whether you’re beginning your career, in between jobs, recently unemployed, re-entering the job market, or exploring grad school options, attend this workshop to learn effective job search strategies that are right for you. Open to UC alumni.

Wednesday, August 16

* “”Advances in Medical Care for the New Millennium,”” 6pm @ Center for Molecular Genetics, School of Medicine. Dr. Joe Ramsdell, Department of Medicine, will speak. For more information call 534-6299.

Wednesday, August 22

* ON-CAMERA INTERVIEWING FOR ALUMNI JOB SEEKERS, 5-7pm @ Career Services Center. Practice answering interview questions on video and receive immediate feedback from and advisor and your peers. Small group workshop. Sign up in advance.

Thursday, September 6

* PREPARING AN INTERNSHIP RESUME, 3-4pm @ Career Services Center. Need help developing a resume for internship positions? Get tips on how to write a winning resume!

ARTS

Wednesday, July 25

* 15 minute Chamber Music Series, 12:30 @ Geisel Library(downstairs among the music stacks). Harpist Susan Raimond will play some of her favorite harp literature and talk briefly about her work as a music therapist for animals. The Concerts are free, call the Music Library at UCSD for more information; 858.534.8074.

Wednesday, August 8

* 15 minute Chamber Music Series, 12:30 @ Geisel Library(downstairs among the music stacks). Classical guitarist Colin McAllister with series director Scott Paulson on oboe. The Concerts are free, call the Music Library at UCSD for more information; 858.534.8074.

Saturday, August 11

* Arts Pentathlon, 7am-6pm @ Stonehenge. A Medival Arts competition sponsored by the SCA, admission is free.

Wednesday, August 22

* 15 minute Chamber Music Series, A Premiere for Harpsichord and Musical Saw, 12:30 @ Geisel Library(downstairs among the music stacks). The composer will also offer a special demonstration of other portamento instruments such as the Theremin and the Tannerin, with Scott Paulson(portamento instruments) and Linda Kernohan(harpsichord). The Concerts are free, call the Music Library at UCSD for more information; 858.534.8074.

Wednesday, September 5

* 15 minute Chamber Music Series, Toy Piano Festival, 12:30 @ Geisel Library(downstairs among the music stacks). Featuring a visit from Janice Kelsh, the president of the Miniature Piano Enthusiasts Club. Featured performers: the Geisel Library Toy Piano Duo(Scott Paulson and Linda Kernohan). Toy piano premieres from composers Dia Silverstein, Matt Gell, Michael Friedmann and others. The Concerts are free, call the Music Library at UCSD for more information; 858.534.8074.