Men's Tennis Season Comes to a Quick Halt

The UCSD men’s tennis team headed to the islands to face Brigham Young University-Hawaii in the second round of the NCAA West Regional Championships on Friday.

The winner of this tournament was to go to the Division II championships in Florida.

Don’t make any travel plans.

To recap the tournament’s statistics up to Friday: The Tritons came into the match with a record of 10-9, defeating Cal Poly Pomona 5-0 in the first round. The Tritons carried a two-game winning streak — both against Pomona — which came into the tournament with a record of 26-2.

The key for the Tritons was to stop the top doubles players on the BYUH team. BYUH has dominated the West region and looked to take the Tritons out of the match quickly and early. To their credit, the Tritons neutralized the top players of the Pomona squad, and UCSD looked to do the same against BYUH.

On Friday, however, the ideal scenario was not the case. BYUH took a 2-1 lead after the doubles matches, with Peter Madarassy and Hung Soon Park winning 8-5 at No. 1 doubles against Jeff Wilson and Cory Moderhak.

Seasiders Daouda Ndiaye and Logan Woolley won 8-3 at the No. 3 slots against Dan Albrecht and Everett Schroeter.

The lone bright spot for the Tritons was the victory notched by Sameer Chopra and Michael Meyer, as they won their No. 2 doubles match 8-4.

Eddie Merc gave the Seasiders a 3-1 lead by beating Dan Albrecht at No. 4 singles, 6-2, 6-2. At the No. 3 singles match, Jeff Wilson could not muster a win as Andrew Makarevich won, 6-4, 6-1. Daouda Ndiaye sealed the match with a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 5 against Blake Wilson-Hayden of UCSD.

As the UCSD men’s tennis season comes to an end, the athletes can look forward to a bright season next year.

With five freshmen returning, the squad will have more experience and composure to face the toughest opponents Division II can offer.

$2515
    $5000