Triton Baseball Has Seen Better Days

The UCSD baseball team had a disappointing break by winning only three games and losing six.

David Pilz

The Tritons had a tough time against California Collegiate Athletic Association rival Cal State Dominguez Hills. They lost the first game on the road 4-2 and fell in the second 7-3.

When the two teams came to UCSD for a doubleheader, the outcome was a little different.

In the first game of a doubleheader, the Tritons spanked the Torros 12-6.

Matt Smith was the offensive star for UCSD, getting three hits to score three runs while garnering three RBIs.

Tyler Sullivan contributed with two runs, and Chad Addison and Ryan Larson each had a pair of RBIs.

Erik Snyder picked up the win for UCSD, striking out four.

Robert Peelle came in relief and allowed only two hits in two innings of work.

In the second game of the doubleheader, the tale turned to the old ways, with UCSD losing 7-3.

It was to be more of the same for UCSD against Grand Canyon University, another CCAA foe.

The two teams got together for a pair of doubleheaders.

In the first game, the Tritons were trounced 15-8.

In the second game, UCSD had an early lead, up 2-0. Late runs by the Antelopes pulled out the victory for the team from Arizona.

For the first game on the second day of doubleheaders, UCSD turned it around, winning 7-5.

David Hawk and Connor Mocsny shared offensive honors for UCSD, each getting two hits, two RBIs and each scoring a run. Ryan Larson had two RBIs and a run. Chad Addison had four hits to drive in a run and score a run.

The winning pitcher for UCSD was John Beaven, who sat down seven Antelope batters.

Tommy Sereno and Erik Snyder each saw action in relief.

The momentum of the first game did not carry to the second as UCSD fell 15-5.

For a change of pace, UCSD took on old rival Point Loma Nazarene University, winning 9-6.

Chad Addison had three hits, two RBIs and two runs.

Eric Thorpe also had three hits, two of them coming in the form of doubles. Anthony Lococo also had two hits, one of them a triple, and he scored a run. Nathan Bestul had a double and drove in two runs.

Andy Hanau picked up the win for UCSD, striking out four.

Three other pitchers helped out in relief.

The Tritons are now 9-17 overall.

Next up for UCSD is a game at Cal State Los Angeles on Thursday at 7 p.m.

$2515
    $5000