Water Polo Can't Complete Sweep

On Friday night the UCSD women’s water polo team hosted cross-town rival San Diego State University at the Canyonview Pool.

Rebecca Drexler

The night before, UCSD took care of Villanova in a commanding 17-6 victory.

Junior Emma Kudritzki led the team in scoring with five goals.

Also contributing with multiple goals were sophomore Samara Silverman and junior Erin Welsh, who each had three. Elena Tellechea threw in two. Sophomore Megan Hubbs put in a strong performance at the goalie position, making nine saves.

Looking to build on their win against Villanova, the Tritons entered Friday night’s game with an 8-6 record and were ranked 12th in the National Collegiate Top 20 Poll.

In cold temperatures and intermittent rainfall, UCSD and San Diego State battled for four quarters with the biggest deficit of the game being just two goals. In the end, the Tritons, fell to the Aztecs 6-4.

“”We played a good hard game, but [San Diego State] came out on top,”” Silverman said. “”Next time it’ll be different.””

After two quarters of solid play from both teams, San Diego State led with a score of 3-2.

In the third quarter the Tritons increased the intensity and tied the game on a goal by Hilary Smith, a senior, with 4:25 remaining in the quarter.

Hubbs did her part by making several critical saves. In the first minute of the third quarter, Hubbs made an impressive stop to prevent the Aztecs from going up 4-2. The score would remain tied at 3-3 for the rest of the quarter.

In the final quarter, however, San Diego State exploded for three goals to put the game out of reach for the Tritons, as UCSD managed only one more goal in the game.

$2515
    $5000