The State of Triton Bball is Not Too Bad

At first, I thought about reserving this space for the inevitable: the critiquing of former San Diego Charger employee (the word “”player”” is too much of an overstatement) Ryan Leaf.

You know, I would go on about how much he sucks and good riddance and what a waste he was. I also would have written about how I pity the Buccaneers for taking a chance on him. Then I would conclude my column with how I will miss him because he made my job so easy and that I wish him the worst (i.e. a career in the XFL or mopping the floor of a peep show booth).

I would also discuss how pleased I am with the Chargers, about the changes that they have made recently and that I feel they are on the right path to success. That would be my say and I would be done.

But alas, I will not, and I shall focus my attention on something else, something that hits a little more closer to home. I shall write about the state of UCSD basketball at this school.

It is an interesting state to look at. The men’s and women’s programs are sitting at different spots.

The women’s team is in excellent condition. It just finished its inaugural Division II year with 15 wins. It definitely made a good transition to the next level.

Next year looks kind of shaky. The team is losing three starters, composing its entire starting front line. The guard position is fine, especially with Maya Fok at the helm, but it is the bigger girls that are a concern.

I am not worried for the team though. Judy Malone has been coaching for longer than many of you have been alive. Just by will alone, she should be able to keep the team at a level of respectability.

The men are a different story, but it’s not as bad as it looks.

Last season they won only three games and this year they were victorious in only four matchups. But, like the women’s team and the rest of the school, they moved up to the Division II level. I believe that if they had stayed at Division III, they would have easily been .500, if not better.

They lost three starters, but most schools have to deal with that just like the Tritons will. The team just looks to be in a funk that I am sure it will get out of.

Don’t forget, head coach Greg Lanthier led them to 20 wins three seasons ago. That is not a fluke. It will happen again soon.

See, I didn’t rag on how much of a crybaby Ryan Leaf is; about how he is a failure and a loser. See, I am way above all of that. Nope, I kept this spot for an optimistic thought; a thought for our basketball teams: The best you can is good enough.

I am sure that Hungry Moses would be proud.

$2515
    $5000