Muir Organizing Board to Raffle Parking Space

Starting today, Muir Organizing Board will sell raffle tickets on Library Walk for a chance to win a reserved parking spot anywhere on campus. Tickets will be available for $1 apiece until Friday, March 16. Special deals will be available for students and staff members purchasing a large number of tickets. Those prices will be advertised at the booth on Library Walk.

The drawing will be held at 3:30 p.m. March 16 in Muir Quad.

The booth will be on Library Walk from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday for these next two weeks.

The raffle is a fund-raiser for Muirstock, an all-campus festival sponsored by Muir College Council, which will be held in Muir Quad on Friday, April 20.

The winner of the raffle will meet with Parking and Transportation Services to choose where to place his reserved spot. The permit awarded can also be used in “”A,”” “”B”” and “”S”” spots anywhere on campus.

“”Basically it’s an omnipermit, and you get your own parking spot,”” said M.O.B chair Jonathan Cole. “”You can place it anywhere around campus except for handicap and metered spots.””

The permit will be good for spring quarter 2001. The winner will also be reimbursed for the money he has already paid for parking for the quarter, which comes out to $114 for students with “”S”” passes.

“”This will be a great opportunity for students who currently have a problem dealing with the great parking crunch,”” Cole said.

M.O.B. has been working with Parking and Transportation Services since fall quarter to obtain the reserved spot for the raffle. M.O.B. member Brendan Nelson negotiated with Parking and Transportation Services Customer Service Coordinator Cleo Phillips to purchase the spot.

“”As a student organization, we’d be able to get the parking permit for one quarter and it would be charged to M.O.B.,”” Nelson said.

“”Apparently, Parking and Transportation Services leaves a number of parking spaces for groups to reserve,”” said co-chair of Muirstock, M.O.B. and MCC member Ben Epperson.

The musical performances in two-stage festival for which the raffle is raising money will begin at 4:20 p.m. in the Muir Quad. Local bands, including Thrice, Taken, NZ Rough, Sometimes Y and 34 Below are on the ticket, with Common Sense headlining. The headliner is scheduled to take the stage at 8 p.m.

“”There’s going to be … entertainment other than bands, also,”” Cole said.

The festival, beginning at 2 p.m., will feature a “”dueling DJs”” performance by the DJs and Vinylphiles Club, a vendor fair, an inflatable obstacle course, free food and booths sponsored by local radio stations. The DJ competition will occur in the hour preceding the bands’ performances. MCC is looking for outside DJs to participate in the event.