More 'S' Parking Needed for UCSD's Fed Up Students

There are not enough student parking spots at UCSD. This ceased to be news a long time ago. However, we at the Guardian have realized one thing with the opening of the two new on-campus parking structures this year: Absolutely nothing is being done to alleviate the aforementioned crisis.

It’s the same old song and dance with the new structures: scores of empty green and red spaces; few or no yellow spaces. Students are being taken advantage of.

We recently went to the new Gilman and Torrey Pines structures during their peak occupancy hours for all three types of spots — according to Director of Parking and Transportation Greg Snee, this is Tuesday and Thursday between 11 am and 1 pm. — to get an idea of how many of each type of space are vacant.

Our count for the Gilman structure: 38 vacant “”A”” spots; one vacant “”B”” spot; zero vacant “”S”” spots and there were three cars waiting for S spots.

Our count for the Torrey Pines structure: 112 vacant “”A”” spots; 240 vacant “”B”” spots; 13 vacant “”S”” spots.

True, the structures are relatively new, and it may be that not all graduate students, staff and faculty know they are open. However, they must be parking somewhere. On the other hand, the same can be said about undergraduates — we must be parking somewhere. For us, “”somewhere”” means far off in the boondocks; people actually have to come pick us up in buses and take us back to campus.

Why are there no red or green spots in the East or Regents lots? Red and green permits are more expensive than yellow permits, but why can’t students buy red and green permits?

UCSD Parking and Transportation and the administration are either ignoring the lack of student parking, or they are acting ineffectively.

We at the Guardian propose a simple and cheap solution: Get a few pails of yellow paint and go to town on some of those red and green spots. At least then, all of us will be in the same boat. At least then, it will be fair. At least then, the people to whom the university listens might actually cause something to happen.