Advertising Insert Controversial, Not a Public Disservice

This issue of the Guardian contains an advertising insert that many on campus will see as controversial. In the past, the Guardian has refused to run similar inserts from Human Life Alliance because they had the potential to give the Guardian a negative image on this campus. We expect, however, that our readers are intelligent enough to realize that the Guardian editorial staff does not produce these inserts, nor do we necessarily agree with them.

The Guardian on a regular basis receives money to have advertisements and small magazines inserted into our paper. When the Guardian runs inserts from Yahoo! or Council Travel, it does not mean that the Guardian supports these companies or organizations. Similarly, being paid to run an insert from Human Life Alliance does not mean we endorse its opinions.

Even though this insert is a booklet, it looks nothing like our publication, and should not be confused with anything we would produce. The insert is not printed on newsprint like our publication is; each page of the advertisement, including the cover, is clearly labeled “”Advertising Supplement.”” There are no gruesome photos, and the name of the organization is printed on the cover.

In addition, we realize that whether we agree or disagree with its opinions, this insert includes opinions that are part of a legitimate debate in society. Last year the Guardian staff voted against running an ad claiming the Holocaust never happened. We feel that an ad such as that does not represent an issue that is discussed or debated in society.

On the other hand, the issue of abortion has divided this country for decades. To turn down this insert simply because we might disagree with it would set a precedent that would prevent us from running advertisements from groups on the other side of this issue.

In the past, the Guardian has run advertisements from Planned Parenthood without causing any controversy on this campus. This insert is not a public disservice; it is simply one that provides opinions from the other side of this contentious issue.

The Guardian believes it is important to be fair, and we will not accept or decline advertisements based upon our own personal or political views.