Tritons Split with First Ranked Chico

With the split, UCSD is now 22–20 overall on the season, occupying the sixth spot in the CCAA conference standings in a tie with Cal State Dominguez Hills. With a 16–16 conference record, it is unlikely that the Tritons will qualify for the four-team CCAA tournament, but with fourth-ranked Sonoma State (19–13) just three games ahead, the door has not yet been shut on a postseason appearance.

UCSD continues its regular season with a critical matchup against conference foes Cal State San Bernardino this upcoming weekend. The last two home games of the season will be played this Thursday and Friday, April 25 and 26. UCSD concludes the series with a doubleheader Saturday, April 27 on the road at San Bernardino.  

Game 1: Friday, April 19
    UCSD 7, Chico State 5

The Tritons had to battle, but they came away with a victory in the opening game of the series. Each team traded four-run innings, but it was the Tritons who came out on top.

With each team’s respective ace on the mound, runs were hard to come by. Each pitcher struggled in the early innings, however, with Triton ace senior Ryan Goodbrand allowing four runs in the second and Wildcat pitcher Nick Baker giving up four runs in the next inning. Each pitcher settled down, and after the third inning, runs were much more difficult to come by. Goodbrand gave up just one more run in the game, finishing with 7.2 innings pitched and eight strikeouts in a solid performance.

The Tritons jumped ahead in the first, capitalizing off a double by senior centerfielder Danny Susdorf and a passed ball from the pitcher to take the early lead. Susdorf finished 2-for-4 in the game with two runs scored and a walk.

The Tritons gave up the lead in the bottom of the second when two singles and a walk loaded the bases. Goodbrand was able to strike out one and induce a groundout from another to surrender just one run before shortstop Cody Slader homered to drive in three runs batted in. 

UCSD wouldn’t stay down for long though, as they bounced back to score four of their own in the top of the third to put UCSD back in the driver’s seat. 

UCSD added two more runs off a sacrifice fly by third baseman Garrett Tuck in the sixth and a homerun by junior Scott Liske in the eighth to solidify the victory. Liske finished 2-for-3 with two runs scored and the home run in the winning effort. 

Game 2: Saturday, April 20
    UCSD 6, Chico State 7

UCSD pushed three runs across in the opening inning, getting off to a hot start in each of the first two games. Susdorf once again got the Tritons started with a hit and a pair of throwing errors by Chico State, allowing UCSD to score two and add another on a sacrifice fly by designated hitter junior Nick La Face. 

In the second inning, Susdorf drove in a run on a single to center field. UCSD added a run in the fifth off a triple by sophomore catcher Brett Levy and an RBI groundout by junior second-baseman Spencer Frazier. UCSD added another in the following sixth inning when junior Justin Rahn scored on a throwing error by the Chico State shortstop.

Despite giving up four unearned runs to the Tritons, Chico State found their way around to earn the win.

Game 3: Saturday, April 20
    UCSD 3, Chico State 1

UCSD freshman pitcher Troy Cruz fared well for the Tritons, going five innings and only surrendering one earned run while allowing four hits. Cruz set the pace for the Tritons, who struck first in the second inning when Rahn doubled to lead off the inning, and Liske singled to drive him in. Rahn finished the game 2-for-3 from the designated hitter spot. 

The Tritons added two more insurance runs in the sixth when Susdorf scored on a throwing error by Wildcat pitcher Mike Botelho and senior first-baseman Richard Seigel doubled to bring home junior Garrett Tuck. The two runs were enough to secure the victory and take the series lead 2–1. 

Game 4: Sunday, April 21
    UCSD 1, Chico State 3

Both pitchers threw the ball well for their respective clubs in the last game of the series. UCSD starter sophomore Dan Kolodin went seven innings, striking out five and giving up only three hits. His only blemish came early in the game when Chico State took two runs in the first.

A pair of singles got Chico State on the board, and behind pitcher Kagen Hopkins, they never looked back. Hopkins went seven innings and didn’t allow a single run, while giving up four hits and striking out three. The Wildcats added a third run in the eighth inning on a double by pinch hitter Jon Peters.

UCSD attempted a comeback in the ninth, scoring once, but the Tritons were unable to add more runs, splitting the series 2-2.