Qualcomm Political Aid Not Disclosed by the U-T

There just wasn’t enough interest in the campaigns at that point to bring out the rank-and-file for an inevitable presidential nominee. Comprehensive Pension Reform for San Diego was trumpeted by Carl DeMaio and was the overriding issue that determined the passage of that election’s ballot propositions, as well as the Republican Party giving DeMaio its endorsement.

Nathan Fletcher left that party because Comprehensive Pension Reform for San Diego had more appeal than Chelsea King (at least for right-wing Tea Party stalwarts). Fletcher, as a Republican, had linked arms with the assembly speaker, a democrat, in championing Chelsea’s Law. 

Scott Peters was one of those, who while serving of the San Diego City Council, had approved bloated city pensions so in the primary he demanded that his opponent explain her abstention (while serving as an assemblywoman) on Chelsea’s Law.

To turn out Peters’ opponent — the incumbent congressman in the reconfigured 52nd — Democrats needed a slugfest as much in the primary as in the general election (particularly when Speaker of the House John Boehner personally came to the wealthy enclave of Coronado to raise money for Brian Bilbray). Peters has immense wealth. And so he eked out the victory. 

Mayor Filner doesn’t vilify city employees. He can even work something out with them, which won’t impoverish new hires.

Disclosure of Qualcomm political contributions was reported by U-T San Diego, but the newspaper didn’t specify where the money went. Qualcomm contributed $2,500 to incumbent Susan Davis, a democrat, and $3,500 to incumbent Darryl Issa, a republican. $4,500 went to republican incumbent Duncan Hunter, and a paltry thou’ for Bilbray. The Republican National Committee’s haul was $10,000 (split between the House and the Senate versions of the committee). Friends of John Boehner took in $4,500. Boehner for Speaker, a separate group, took in $2,000 more.

Former Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi’s share was $3,500. Feinstein, for Senate, received $2,500. Friends of Jay Rockefeller: $1,000.  Comprehensive Pension Reform for San Diego got $30,000. Given the $2,000,000 Qualcomm founder Irwin Jacobs gave to pro-Obama Super PACs up to the time of the second inauguration, none of the above would appear startling. Fletcher’s new position at Qualcomm doesn’t include lobbying.  

— Richard Thompson
    Alumnus ’83