UCSD Club Sports

Sailing Team

The UCSD sailing team is hoping to finish the season on a high note.

With the completion of the final three races, the team’s goal is to improve on its 10th place showing in the Pacific Coast Sailing Championships last year.

The veteran leadership of Ben Dahlin, Sarah Rozycki, R.J. Ward and Rob Grant has tremendously helped the team so far. These experienced crew members have guided the Tritons to many victories over their cross-town rival, San Diego State University.

Looking to improve its chances this season, the UCSD sailing team mixed things up by pitting different crew members with the skippers.

At the Stoney Burke Regatta and Sloop Pacific Coast Championships in October, the Tritons finished in 12th place and sixth place respectively. UCSD sailing team members Grant, Sonya Sankaran, Glen Richards, Kim Leung and Matt Kyler yielded impressive results with victories over San Jose State University, Cal Poly Pomona and the University of Oregon.

In the following month at the North/South Intersectional Regatta, the team battled hard in cold temperatures. Finishing 17th out of 20 total spots, the Tritons fared admirably in the 40-degree weather. The three teams that UCSD defeated were Pepperdine, SDSU and the College of Marin.

Despite suffering a setback from the beginning because they were unable to use a Laser boat, the Tritons made good use of what they did have. Ward finished second in one race and Grant had a consistent fifth place showing in his events.

With many members who can rise to the occasion, the Tritons have a positive outlook on the remainder of the sailing 2001 season

Upcoming Events

Saturday, January 20th

*Men’s Rugby v. Stanford @ Stanford; 1 p.m.

*Women’s Rugby v. UCSB @ UCSB; 11 a.m.

*Men’s/Women’s Ultimate Santa Barbara Tournament @ UCSB; all day

— Compiled by Gloria Chung