Categories:

Senior Sendoff: Raymond Tran

Senior Sendoff: Raymond Tran
Image by Millie Root for The UCSD Guardian

It would be an understatement to say that my time here has been stressful. I’m pretty sure it accelerated my gray hair growth. But amidst the chaos and turbulence, I found myself coming back to it every day. Not because of the work (which I love and appreciate very deeply) but because of who I got to work with. 

Student journalism can be a very daunting experience, especially at an institution that doesn’t even have an established journalism department. But the community I’ve found and fostered has made every tumultuous Sunday production, every swarming news week, every late night, and every early morning worth it. 

As I leave my student journalism career in the past, I reflect on the community that I’ve been fortunate enough to experience. In 20 years, I might remember my favorite news story I wrote or how to align text on InDesign, but what I will remember is how I felt walking into the office every day and being met with the most incredible crop of individuals. It pains me to know that I am not only leaving the work I’ve done for the past four years but also the people I’ve been lucky enough to call my friends. 

Thank you to Zara Irshad and Jocelyn Brossia for making these shoes difficult to fill. You’ve been the catalyst for my growth, a debt I can never repay. 

Sonia, thank you for your neverending goofiness, love, and support. Millie, I’ll see you back home. Kaitlin and Elise, we can finally take a well-deserved rest. Viv, my podcast partner and Sociology buddy, stay Gleeky.

Alex, my partner in crime and work husband, thank you for coming with me on this journey. We made it in One Piece. 

Adalia, my other half, my one true love, my rock. I genuinely don’t know what I would have done this year without you. Your dedication, strength, and passion continue to inspire me. I know you and Viv will take The Guardian to unimaginable heights. 

I’m feeling tired but fulfilled. I love you all. 

About the Contributors
Raymond Tran
Raymond Tran, Editor-in-Chief
Outside of the newspaper, Raymond enjoys playing video games, making animal noises, and watching shows such as Grey's Anatomy, Glee, and Avatar The Last Airbender.
Millie Root
Millie Root, Photo Editor
Millie loves the way light reflects off bus windows, artisenal teas, and community co-ops. Join Millie on the journey of a lifetime to tell important stories with amazing photographs.
$2515
$5000