Lineup Announced for Hullabaloo Concert

Musical artists Logic and Erik Hassle will headline UCSD’s annual Hullabaloo festival on campus this coming Friday, Nov. 14.

The lineup for the fourth annual Hullabaloo festival, which also includes artists Conway, Avery and a UCSD student disc jockey was announced by UCSD Associated Student Concerts and Events on Oct. 5. The festival, part of a multiday Founders Day celebration, will be held in Town Square from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m.

The Hullabaloos of the past three years have transformed a well-known part of campus into a venue complete with a dance stage located in Town’s Square, amusement rides in Matthew’s Quad and festival food and student organizations’ booths throughout.

ASCE began the process of creating Hullabaloo’s lineup last June at the end of Spring Quarter 2014. Every year when ASCE considers who to ask to be a part of the festival, the list of potential artists starts off long and is then narrowed down according to budget and availability.

The organization then makes a prediction of what will be generally popular music in the near future. Combining this forecast with information on student interest, gathered through an entertainment survey launched annually, ASCE determines which artists to contact.

The survey on which next year’s decisions will be based will be made available to UCSD students the week of Hullabaloo 2014.

“We try to get artists that are up-and-coming,” ASCE Festivals Director Sean Kennedy said in an interview with the UCSD Guardian. “A lot of these artists have stuff that just came out or that they’re planning to release soon.”

Hullabaloo headliner Logic, a rapper from Gaithersburg, Maryland has recently grown in popularity. Logic is currently on tour and set to appear on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon Nov. 12, two days before performing at UCSD.

The rides featured at the festival will include a zipline, the Kamikaze, the Zipper and the Round Up, located in Matthew’s Quad. As one of the prizes available at the Founders Day Celebration, students can win a pass that gains them access to the front of the line for any one ride during a one-hour time slot of their choosing.

ASCE is similarly responsible for UCSD’s annual Sun God Festival, one of the most prominent events of the school year. While Sun God is a more established event in the number of students who attend and the notoriety of the artists that appear, ASCE Associated Vice President Seraphin Raya explained that he would like to see Hullabaloo grow as well.

“The amount of detail put into the production focused on creating ambience is phenomenal,” Raya told the Guardian. “It’s different from Sun God Festival and from the old Fall Festival in that everything ties together to create an experience.”
“The music, lights, smells and rides all come together,” Raya added.